12

I stared at the girl Liam is introducing me to, confused

Liam's girlfriend. How. . .

Why?

If he has a girlfriend. . . why did he confess to me that night?

"Hi! Liam told me a lot about you," she said and I immediately knew that she's soft-spoken. 

Napalunok ako. Is Liam cheating on her?

Before I could reply to her, my phone rang and I thanked heavens when it did because I was so confused with what's happening. 

I immediately excused myself and I answered the call without even looking at who it was. 

"Where are you?" 

It's Hiram. 

Tumingin ako sa mga sapatos ko, nakakunot ang noo, naguguluhan pa rin.

"College caf. . ." I mumbled. 

"Who are you with?" 

Napalunok ako. Hindi ko pa rin magawang alisin sa isipan ko ang sinabi ni Liam. At 'yong Jessica. Na mukhang nursing student. 

"I'm with Liam and his. . ." I trailed off. "Uhm. . ."

Natahimik ang kabilang linya. After a while, Hiram talked again. 

"Wait for me there," he said before he dropped the call. 

I frowned and I stared at my phone. Liam. His black leather watch. I closed my eyes. The familiar body frame. The height. The way he talked that night.

Wait. . .

The way that guy talked. . .

Natigil ako sa pag-iisip nang may tumayong lalaki sa harapan ko. I gazed up to look at who it was and I saw the irritated expression of Hiram Nicholas. The pursed lips and his frown---even though he looked serious, he looked absolutely gorgeous. 

"Stop it with this newfound hobby of leaving me without a word," aniya. 

He looks frustrated. He brushed his hair with his fingers and he glanced at where Liam's table was. When he brought his eyes back to me, he looked more upset. 

"I easily get jealous, September."

Napalunok ako habang nakatitig sa mga mata ni Hiram. 

I think my heart fluttered. 

Bumuntonghininga si Hiram. Pinagmasdan ko s'yang mainis sa 'kin.

I think that made my heart flutter too.

"Stop giving my cousin this much attention," aniya, humihina ang boses, his voice laced with jealousy. "It's making me feel jealous."

Why can he easily confess this to me? That he's jealous? Like he has some kind of claim on me?

"Why would you get jealous?" The question slipped from my tongue.

Hiram stared at me like he thinks I'm being impossible. He glared at me and I think my heart fluttered again when he did. 

"You," aniya, bumubuntonghininga pagkatapos. "You're really cold-hearted."

Kumunot ang noo ko habang pinagmamasdan s'ya. He looked at me like he's expecting me to know what the answer is. 

I don't know what it is. Whatever it is that he expects me to know, I don't know it. 

He pursed his lips when he realized I don't really know the answer to my own question.

"You're impossible, September Elizabeth," he mumbled. "How can you be like this to your boyfriend?"

Umawang ang mga labi ko sa sinabi n'ya. 

My what?!

"Boy---" I stuttered and my cheeks heated up. 

It feels like I'm seeing Hiram in a new light. Why would he be my boyfriend?!

Nababaliw na ba s'ya? Or maybe, is this a dream? Or is it him who's dreaming?

Kailan pa naging kami?!

"How can you be this cruel to me?" he asked me, sighing. "When we had the date last weekend, you even denied me."

What?

Denied him. . .?

"What. . ." I breathed, staring at him.

Did I skip something?

"I know we agreed to not act too different from how we used to be. I know you said you hate cheesy things or a display of affection in public but calling me a 'friend' and denying our relationship. . ." Hiram looked at me like I disappointed him. "Don't you think you're being too much?"

I stared at Hiram, confused with what he's talking about. 

"Huh. . .?" 

Hiram stared at me too. 

Slowly, a smile started curving on his lips and he bit his lower lip to stop himself from grinning. He bowed a little and sighed. Nawala ang namumuong ngiting 'yon dahil sinusubukan n'yang pigilan. 

"What's with your reaction?" he asks, raising his gaze back at me again. "You're cute but I'm not done getting mad at you."

Bumuntonghininga s'ya na para bang nahihirapan s'ya sa 'kin. 

"Bakit ako ang sumusuyo sa 'yo kahit na ikaw naman ang may kasalanan?" he asked me. Kahit na dapat, galit s'ya, base na rin sa tanong n'ya, mukhang hindi na n'ya napigilan ang ngiti n'ya. "What am I gonna do with you?"

He bit his lip and he sighed once more. Pumameywang s'ya sa harapan ko at tumingala na para bang hindi n'ya na alam kung ano ang gagawin sa 'kin.

Why is he acting like this? And what the hell is he talking about?

"What---" I tilted my head, confused. "Relationship. . .?"

I stared at Hiram. He brought his eyes down to me, confused with my question.

He stared back at me.

I frowned.

Seconds later, worry etched his expression. He cursed under his breath.

"You don't remember?" he asks.

And just like that, my memories from that night started flooding my mind.

And God, forgive me. . . how could I forget all about what happened that night?