7.

Narrator

Lydia awakened from the constant arguing amoungst her mom and dad as they talked they were complete enemies over the phone.

" You ain't never been there for this girl. She grown and now you want to be there!"

Lydia rolled her eyes and grabbed a bowl, cereal and milk assembling her meal before digging in as she sat at the dining room table listening to the craziness.

Lydia barely knew her father. She only saw him a few times when she was six and after that he was in and out of Jail and not once made an attempt to see her again, just sent her money every month since he didn't want to be put on child support. She still didn't understand where the money was coming from since he was never able to get a job.

" You are so full of shit. You wasn't in jail when she graduated high school and you didn't come to that. Stop calling this house making empty promises."

" You wasting you time ma." Lydia mumbled.

But her mother kept up with her rant, by time Lydia was done her mom hung up the phone and went on to what she was doing like shit never happened.

" That man....will be the death of me."

" Stop talking to him. I'm 18 I can handle myself."

" Where's Lonny?"

" Who?"

" Lonny, your boyfriend? Don't act like you don't know him, he said y'all were arguing before he left the country."

Typical, Lydia thought. She didn't know why he couldn't just been real with her and tell her that they've broken up. Lydia, didn't understand. She cheated on him, so, why was he still holding on?

" Me and Lonny aren't together anymore."

" I knew it. Y'all was too distant, which got me wondering who you putting your attention now?"

She sipped her coffee, looking through her eyebrows at her only child.

" Lydia, I'm not gonna ask again-

" It's nobody ma. Why is my business yours?"

Whop!

Lydias hand flew right to her lip. Blew dripping slowly from it.

" Now, I don't know where you getting this attitude, but I work too damn hard and I am too good of a mother to allow her only child to talk to me like she ain't got no sense. Now, I let you off the other day, and I let you walk away. But don't pull that shit again Lydia."

Lydia didn't say anything, she was more confused then anything but she understood. That was still her mother. It wasnt uncommon that her mother would raise her hand at her, but it was rare.

Lydia stood up from her seat, walking  in another direction.

She snatched her arm away from her mother, who tried to grab her and headed upstairs.

Lydia's phone rang, waking her out of her nap.

The sun was almost fully down when she answered the phone. Her head pounding from all the crying she did.