CHAPTER SIX; part one

Calvin Sumner

     Dresden Gibson is in my hotel bed.

     And it's exactly where he should be. Except he keeps trying to leave. I've got his forearm pinned under my elbow and my knee pressing into his hip. And he's laughing, but I'm so serious. He's not leaving.

     "Cas," he's saying, all exaggerated sass. I know he wants to stay in this bed with me because why wouldn't he? I'm the best cuddler. "It's bad luck."

     I let up my elbow, shifting over so both my arms are on his chest. He wraps his arms around me, his fingers strumming along my spine.

     "I'm not letting you leave," I say with finality.

     Dres gives me a look that's all challenge. With the sort of ease that's actually an annoying display of his strength, he grips my sides and lifts me in the air. My eyes balloon and I suck in a breath, bracing, for what I don't even know. He sets me down between his legs but I'm off balance and tip backwards.

     "I'm marrying Thor," I say still sort of winded, staring up at the paneled ceiling. "I'm jealous of myself."

     Dres swings his legs around me and gets out of bed, making his way to the bathroom. I roll onto my side to watch him. He's gotten more tattoos in the last six years. They run up the backs of his calves and thighs and over his hips. The only place left blank at this point is Dres's ass.

     When I'd asked him about it, he'd said, "There's no tattoo I can really justify putting on my ass."

     I had responded, mostly joking, "Other than my name. Yes, I agree."

     I watch him through the open doorway as he cleans up and starts re-dressing. I roll off the bed and walk over, leaning against the doorframe so I can stare. Watching him dress is almost as good as watching him undress.

     "Stay for one more hour," I say.

     "It's almost midnight," he responds as he buttons his pants. He grabs a robe that's hanging on the door and holds it out to me. I roll my eyes but take it because it's a little chilly in the room.

     "Did you see where my shirt went?" he asks passing me as he exits the bathroom.

     It's by the couch. That's where I dropped it when I backed him up against it when we'd gotten to my room. I walk over and pick it up, holding it out him.

     "Ah," he says gratefully. I want to hang onto it, if only to be contrary, but I don't, letting him take it from my outstretched hand.

     Dres finishes dressing before making his way to the door. I trail him sullenly. He's grinning as he faces me, which is kind of rude, considering.

     I frown and he reaches out, hooking a finger into the belt loop of my robe so he can pull me close. Then he cradles my face, tipping it back. Our eyes meet.

     "Don't pout," he says so I pout harder, making him laugh.

     "You don't really believe that, right?" I ask.

     "Believe what?"

     "That it's bad luck."

     He shakes his head. "I just like the tradition. I think it's romantic."

     "Okay," I say quietly. "I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. But okay."

     Dres pinches my cheek that's still resting between his palms. "I packed Zquil in your bag. Take two, turn the heat up in here, and you'll be out till morning."