Chapter 24 Hard Decisions

Chapter 24

Nico

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not right now,” he sighed, closing his eyes. When the light turned green I looked back at the road, wondering what was going through his head.  Thank god Benji called me;   I owed him big for that.  But I was worried about Finn.  He looked absolutely wrecked.

My lawyers had been keeping an eye on his mother for a while after she signed over guardianship, but lost track of her when she and her new husband started moving around; they hadn't had any information in about a year and a half, so I had no idea she was back in L.A.  The way they reported she’d been living, I wouldn’t have been surprised if she turned up dead; they basically ran through all the money my lawyers gave her within a year, drinking, gambling and drugs.  I shook my head.  I’d never seen her before and when you looked close, you could see parts of Finn in her blond hair and blue eyes, except her features were dulled from her bad habits.  She wasn't that old, in her late thirties, if I remember correctly, but her face was drawn and wrinkles were starting to show around her eyes and mouth.  But it was inside that the difference was most pronounced.  His father must have been a Saint to have stayed with her.

On the ride over to the café I’d called Stuart, one of my lawyers and gave him an update.  I’d talk to him again tomorrow, after I spoke with Finn, to discuss our next move, if any.  While I had my eyes on the road I felt Finn’s hand reach over for mine, so I took it, holding it firmly and rubbing circles into the back with my thumb.  I glanced over, but he still had his eyes closed.  I picked his hand up and kissed it as my heart soared at his need for contact with me.  God, I would move mountains for him if he needed it or even just wanted it.

Was this another obstacle we’d have to get over?  Finn knew I’d obtained guardianship in order to get him registered in school, but he never knew any of the details, or that I'd paid her off.  I had to believe he’d understand.  And that was one thing I never gave Declan.  I promised not to see him, but I never signed over guardianship.  When he needed documents signed relating to Finn, I had him send them to my lawyer overnight, I reviewed them electronically, made arrangements to sign them and sent them back.  It was a moot point after he turned 18, but I wouldn’t give Declan complete control and I had Jaime to thank for talking him down from fighting that too.

“We’re here Finn,” I said softly as I parked at the marina.

He opened his eyes and attempted a smile.  “Good,” he replied.  He grabbed his shopping bag as we got out of the car and went over to the waiting speedboat.  I’d texted my Captain just before we left the city.  I stowed the bag safely once we’d hopped down and patted the seat in the front of the boat for Finn to sit.  Once he’d hopped up I snaked my arms around his chest from behind and rested my chin on his shoulder.

“I’m glad we’re having a quiet night together, life’s been too hectic lately,” I told him quietly.

“Me too.” He offered me a half smile and I gave him a small squeeze to reassure him.  My crew members maneuvered the speed boat expertly out of the marina and through the bay to Serenity where another one of my staff was waiting as we docked up to the lower entrance.  As they are trained, they were all discreet as they helped tie off and we climbed aboard the larger vessel.  I took Finn's hand immediately and led him up two levels to the top deck where our private quarters are.  Yes, 'our'.  This is our sanctuary now, I've instructed all my employees that what is mine is also Finn's and they are to accord him every right and privilege that they provide for me.