Chapter 5

The next day, the Akids and Sawyer returned to CMA. When they came out to the medical area they were greeted by Clay and his staff. The Wild Kratts were also there as they had just arrived as well. 

"There they are" Hazel's grandfather and Clay's father, Reed, smiled once he saw the kids come in. 

"Morning, everyone" Teeders smiled. 

"Hi, Hazel" Sawyer greeted. 

"Hey" Hazel greeted back, showing to be in the pool with Winter. 

"How is she?" Kali asked like a concerned mother, coming up to the edge of the pool to see Winter being supported by Phoebe and Hazel. 

"We're trying to get her to eat" Hazel said. "Pedialyte. Baby formula" 

"But why are they putting a tube into her mouth?" Ann pointed out as the gang noticed the tube in Winter's mouth which connected to a funnel that Kat was pouring fluids into. 

"Dolphins have no gag reflex" Martin explained. "Therefore the tube can be inserted into Winter's body allowing the fluids to flow directly into her stomach"

"Dolphin calves nurse from up to two years in the wild. But since Winter is without her mother now she must adapt to this new feeding technique being hand-fed by the staff" Chris mentioned. 

"This is vital for her health" Aviva told the kids, having a slight frown while watching Winter. 

"Who knows how long poor Winter's been without any nutrition" Koki added. 

But Winter appeared to be refusing the formula at the moment. 

"She doesn't want it" Clay sighed, telling his team. "Let's give it a rest" 

Sawyer placed his hand on Winter's head while she made her tweety bird sound, looking up at Sawyer with her bright eyes being happy to see him despite her circumstances. 

"Sawyer... Sawyer..." Winter kept saying to Sawyer even though the boy couldn't understand Dolphinese like the Akids could. Winter seemed to be very attached to Sawyer at this point. 

The Akids and Wild Kratts gave small smiles at the two of them. Clay was watching too then looked over at his dad who winked at him then back at Sawyer, asking him. "Can you swim?"

Sawyer turned to Clay in a bit of surprise, seeming to know what he was asking him to do. "Me?"

"Phoebe's been up all night with her. She needs some sleep" Clay told Sawyer. "Can you swim?" 

Sawyer appeared a tad hesitant before Brock and Ann suddenly cut in. 

"Oh, we can swim! We can!" Brock told Clay. 

"Very well!" Ann added. "We want to help too!"

"Can we Kali? Pleeeaase" The twins turned to their big sister with puppy eyes, having to ask her permission first. 

"Hmm" Kali looked at her siblings before replying. "As long as Dr. Clay says it's okay"

The twins and the rest of the Akids all turned to Clay who soon slowly smiled at them. 

A few minutes later, the twins and Sawyer came out wearing their swim trunks and bathing suit and climbed up the ladder to the pool. Brock and Ann eagerly entered the water but Sawyer remained at the top of the ladder, still a bit hesitant. 

The twins, Hazel, and Phoebe all smiled at him while Clay said. "Come on in" 

Sawyer appeared nervous. 

"It's okay. I got you" Clay assured, helping Sawyer down and into the water as the gang watched. "There you go" 

"Alright, just come over here by Phoebe" Clay told Sawyer as they approached Winter. "See how she's holding her? Okay, put your right hand under there. She's kind of heavy now"