Chapter Twenty-One

| A DATE SET UP |

"I hate this." 

Grumbled Bucky, he was sat on the chair outside Dr Raynor's office. Cassie glanced over at him sympathetically, knowing how anxious he was. Just as she opened her mouth, Dr Raynor walked out of her room and scanned the hall for the brunette man.

"Good luck." She whispered, pressing a quick kiss on his cheek before he stood up and walked into her room. 

Once Bucky was gone out of sight, the redhead pulled her phone out of her pocket to text Sam. She remembered how he had called her the day before explaining that he was giving the shield to a museum.

Of course, the redhead wasn't happy that the Captain America legacy was coming to an end, but what she learned at a young age was that nothing lasts forever, eventually everything has to end. 

From the day Steve rescued her from the HYDRA base in1943, Cassie has just been waiting for the day he'd retire the shield. But she never thought she'd lose Steve, that was something she could never prepare herself to lose Steve. 

She didn't get to send the text to Sam before Dr Raynor's door opened again. "Elizabeth, would you mind coming in here?" Dr Raynor huffed, making the English woman nod her head. Walking into the room Cassie instantly took a seat beside Bucky. 

His hand quickly found her hand that was mannerly placed on her lap, "What is it?" Cassie looked between the two. 

Bucky stayed still, his gaze drilled into the floor in front of the two. "He's not answering any questions." Unlike Cassie, Bucky wasn't as compliant when it came to the therapy sessions. "I thought he might open up with you in here."

Cassie nodded her head at the woman before looking over at Bucky beside her, "Jamie?" She whispered, trying to make the man look at her, but Bucky couldn't push himself to look at her in the eyes. "Buck." Cassie used her right hand to move his gaze towards her.

She had a smile on her face, "She's just being a bitch." The corner of Bucky's mouth curled up when his trained eyes caught onto Cassie's nose flaring, trying to hold back a laugh, but she also held a scolding face as well.

"James Barnes. You can't be saying that." Cassie scolded the man through their mind. She quickly smiled, not wanting Dr Raynor to become suspicious of the two. The redhead shifted in her seat to look back at the therapist. 

"So tell me about your most recent nightmare." Dr Raynor repeated her question, hands joined as she sat in front of the couch the couple sat on.

Cassie briefly glanced over at Bucky, who shook his head. "I didn't have a nightmare." He shrugged, but it wasn't enough. Dr Raynor deeply sighed and pulled her notebook and a pen on her lap. "Oh come on? Really? Baby tell her, I didn't have a nightmare." Bucky looked over at Cassie was conflicted. "You're going to do the notebook thing? Why? That's passive-aggressive." He grumbled,

Dr Raynor just looked over at Cassie who sighed, "He didn't have a nightmare, Dr Raynor." Cassie lied perfectly. So well Dr Raynor nearly believed her.