Chapter Fifteen

"Figures I got stuck with the boring one," A man with dark hair said. From his blue eyes to that permanent smug look on his face, Evie would recognise him anywhere.

Seth. She knew that face. It was the face of her would-be-brother. A witch tracker, renowned for being the best in the business.

"The moral one." A woman corrected.

Her old friend rolled his eyes. "It's the same thing."

Sometimes, Evie really hated having visions. Most of the time, she didn't remember the ones she saw in her sleep. They stuck better when she recognised the faces in them. Whatever this little snippet was, she was sure to remember it. She'd remember anything that held the face of a loved one.

Since she was little, it had always been him, her and Annaliese.

But the visions were a different story.

Once, she'd lost a boyfriend- a human- to them.

It had been hard to explain why she was whispering the names of so many different men in the night. Alas, it was both a blessing and a curse.

In her sleep, scenes drifted into each other. She only ever saw snippets and they were never her own future. She'd seen things concerning her, but never anything with herself in it.

In one scene, a suited man was huffing and puffing, staring down at a redheaded woman with a scowl. "I didn't kidnap a Queen to frolic."

She saw scenes she didn't understand. Images she couldn't figure out.

Before Evie had poisoned her all those years ago, her Mother explained that her subconscious could bring about certain visions. It was because of this she felt no shock to see Lorcan in one of them. He looked the same as he did now, but different. Happier, maybe? He dressed funny too. None of the casual stuff he wore out and about. In her vision, he dressed like a sexy monarch. Sexy really didn't mix well with Evie. Even in her sleep, her heart beat that little bit faster.

He wore finely tailored trousers with a beige dress shirt. The buttons had mostly been ignored- if not for the bottom few- and something was hanging around his neck. Something small and plastic, child friendly. Evie knew what it was. It was so normal, and yet she couldn't place it. It had been so long since she'd seen something so little and unimportant.

"Chronos!" He called, arms wide in greeting as he walked down a vast set of steps. "You should visit more often brother. Do you have news? Is there war again?"

The brothers didn't look alike at first glance. The resemblance was a little finer than that. Their eyes were the same, their smiles the same too. Lorcan's was stunning. She'd never seen him smile before.

That heavenly look was still in store. Even in her sleep, she knew better than to get her hopes up. Lorcan's smiles would never be reserved for her.

"There will be by the time I get back," Chronos answered.

She wanted to know what'd put a smile on the King's face. As far as she was aware, he didn't do smiling.

"She doesn't know you're gone?"

Who was she?

"What do you think?"

Lorcan laughed heartily.

"You look exhausted," Chronos said, looking his brother up and down.

"I'm exhausted. But she's worse."

Again with the she? Who was she? Probably his mate. Since the vision was a scene from the future, Evie assumed he and his mate had gotten past their differences. As expected. Mates were never apart for long. It made her feel funny inside.