Chapter 21 - Where Do We Go From Here?

Entering the bedroom you saw Arthur sitting on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands running his fingers through his soft brown hair.

"Arthur..." you sat next to him and pulled him to lean on your shoulder, "Talk to me Arthur."

"It's John, can't he see that this is the only chance at living we got?" He sat up straight and turned to you, "I'm sick and tired of hearing him complain, it's all he ever does."

You looked comfortingly into Arthur's eyes your (e/c) eyes casting over his figure,

"That's not the main problem is it?" You deduced, "You're scared of that meeting with Milton aren't you?"

Solemnly, Arthur nodded "I don't know whether he's gonna can us and kick us off here or what, I don't know how much longer I can be his errand boy, i'm getting too old for it. I want to start an actual life with you on the ranch." He didn't want to cry, that was evident enough by the tight balls he had made with his fists, but a single tear fell from his amber eyes and splashed delicately onto his cheek.

"Go see him tomorrow, get it out of the way and we can plan what to do next depending on what he says." You soothed.

"I'll go with John at first light, I think you should get some rest, your bruises are starting to show." Arthur pointed out.

You walked over to the small mirror above the drawers and pressed gently on your cheekbone, a large purple and brown mottled mark had appeared and hurt to touch.

Arthur ushered you to sit back next to him and you did so. He pulled you onto him and held you closely in his arms and began kissing your neck. The heat of his breath made you inhale deeply and sink into his warm embrace. He laid down slowly pulling you down with him never once stopping kissing you on your soft neck.

First light cracked over the trees and shot through your window waking you from your pained sleep. Rolling over you let out a small groan as you put pressure on your ribs.

Arthur had gone. His hat had gone off the bedpost and the hook he hung his coat on was empty.

You knew Arthur had left with John so you busied yourself around the ranch doing chores until they arrived back.

The day came to an end slowly, each hour that passed by seemed like forever, you could only imagine the conversation that was going on between John, Arthur and Milton. Assuming the worst, you tidied up the bedroom to keep your mind busy. Once you had done that you went outside and sat impatiently on the porch and lit a cigarette, waiting for the boys to come home was always the worst part of the day but today was even worse, they could come bearing bad news and you were not quite sure how you would cope with that.

Under the moonlight you sat on the porch smoking your fourth cigarette in a row when two figures came roaring up the path.

"They're back!" You called Abigail and Jack as the figures came into view.

Arthur dismounted his horse followed by John and ran over to you wrapping his arms around you.

"What happened Arthur?!" You pressed impatiently.

Arthur smiled widely, a smile that was filled with nothing but pure happiness.

"We're done!" He shouted, "We are free (y/n), we don't have to work for the anymore, Colm was the last one they wanted, they said we can live here in peace."

A huge smile reciprocated on your face and you pulled Arthur closer. This was the happiest you had ever been, your mind flooded with the endless opportunities you and him could have.

Abigail came outside and as John told her the good news she dropped to her knees and began to sob and laugh, she couldn't believe it. None of you could.

"This calls for a celebration I should think!" She smiled and hurried back into the house and returned with four glasses and an unopened bottle of liquor. As she poured it evenly between four glasses John started a fire and placed some log slices around it.

"Where do we go from here then Arthur?" You asked playfully.

"Wherever you desire my love."

The end  

Thank you So much for reading check out some of my other novels and have a wonderful day.