Nineteen || Yakisoba

-Art by DeltaPork on Twitter-

[Not really referenced to the manga specifically, but the flashback in this chapter is connected to Draken's memories in the manga chapter 223]

It was a couple of weeks after Emma's funeral and Toman's dispansion. Ever since it I never went straight home after school, instead I always ended up at a park to sit for hours. I guess I just wanted to be at my apartment as little as possible after that.

There were a few children playing on the swings and slides that afternoon so I just sat on a bench and stared into space, lost in my own thoughts. The battle with Tenjiku was a month ago but it still felt like it was only yesterday. That day left a scar in me which would take a long time to heal.

Shivering, I lifted my ice cold hands to cover my mouth as I blew hot air into my palms. March was never this cold.

That period of time between the end of winter and beginning of spring was a strange one, especially this year. It was like everybody was trying to find their own peace after the deaths of Kisaki and Izana, aswell as Emma. Nobody was up to their usual shenanigans. It just wasn't the right mood to be.

I noticed things got eerily quiet in the park after a while. That was when I lifted my gaze from my shoes for the first time to look around to see all the kids were gone. They must have gone home and I didn't even notice as I was too busy thinking. I knew they would leave eventually as it was pretty late and the weather was getting colder but it still saddened me as there was nobody other than me in the area. I felt lonely.

Because of that, I brought my knees up on the bench to hug my chest. My face burried into my knees for warmth yet it wasn't enough to cure my frozen heart.

Or not until I felt something graze my side. It was furry but not enough for me to care to actually lift my head so I remained in that position. There was a purring vibration, indicating it was a cat or something.

"Peke J must really like you."

I jerked my head up at the sudden voice. In front of me stood Chifuyu, who I hadn't even realised was there. His hands were stuffed in his brilliant sweater, the one he wore very often, along with his tartan blue trousers.

He helped himself to the open spot next to me as I let my feet touch the ground so the black cat could snuggle into my lap. "It's funny how we bump into each other at this park a lot." He smiled. I couldn't help but grin at the memories either. But just as I was about to respond, he spoke instead, saying, "You've been distant lately, (Y/N). You don't even hang out with Takemichi and I anymore."

I pursed my lips at that. It sounded like he wanted an explanation but I didn't know what to say which would be any different from the answer he was expecting. "You know why." I said instead, stroking Peke J. "I really treasured Emma. I don't know what I'm supposed to do without her."

"It's hard, I know." Chifuyu said as he leaned back on the bench.

Giving him a side-eye, I asked with caution. "What did you do after Baji died? How did you move on from it?"

The blonde looked suprised at my sudden question and didn't answer immediately. Instead he looked away so I was unable to read his face. "I didn't. Not a day goes by where I don't think about that guy. I never moved on, it just got easier to accept as time passed. To be honest, I still visit his grave very frequently and sit at the same spot in our apartment complex where he and I would eat yakisoba." He paused before sighing. "You can never truely move on from someone's passing, especially not when it's a friend. They sort of carve a place in your heart and you never really forget them, you know?"