Chapter Fourteen

Bow chickawowow.

Chapter Fourteen

You know that really intense moment when you find out something about a person that you never knew; and you have an epiphany where you realize that they're a person too? You feel like an idiot for ever judging them or acting hostile towards them. When I realized that Graham's father was abusive towards him, I saw him in a whole new light. It turned my whole world upside down.

And the next day when Graham knocked on my suite door, that was exactly how I felt. Upside down. Confused. My emotions were in a frenzy.

I was hanging out with Courtney when I got up to answer the door and saw him standing there. My heart lurched in my chest and my eyes widened as I took in his dishevelled and distraught appearance.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. Courtney sat on the couch in amusement, surveying the encounter.

Graham had one hand resting on the door frame and he put his entire weight into it like he was struggling to hold himself up.

“Uhh...” was all I could muster in that moment. I wasn't expecting Graham to speak to me ever again, never mind show up unexpected looking like he just got hit by a semi.

“C-c-can I come in?” Graham stuttered, the sound of his deep, sexy voice doing divine thing to my body and mind. My heart skipped two beats. I counted. He groaned and when I realized that he was in pain, I snapped out of it and rushed to his side, helping him into the room.

Together we hobbled to the couch and Courtney stumbled to get out of the way. I sat him down and he rested his head back, wincing as he breathed in and out. Courtney stood by us awkwardly and I gave her a look, signalling for her to give us some privacy. She took the hint and sauntered away and out the door, sending me a wink as she went.

"Tell me what happened," I said softly, my hand unconsciously moving to brush some of his tangled hair away from his face. He lifted his head and stared down, unable to look me in the eye.

He parted his lips like he was going to say something but then stopped himself. Then he gazed up at me suddenly and made eye contact, causing my breath to catch in my throat, “I'm sorry,” he muttered, “I... you should never have seen that.”

“Don't be sorry. You don't have anything to apologize for,” I responded sincerely. In that moment I wanted to hold him and tell him everything would be okay and I was there for him as long as he needed me.

He winced again, but this time it was different. “You're wrong.” I didn't know what to say. He started to sit up straighter, groaning. I moved to help him but he stopped me. “I'm fine.”

I gritted my teeth as I felt tears beginning to unexpectedly form in my eyes. I choked them down and commanded, “Don't lie to me.”

He gave me a pained look, like he wanted to push me away but couldn't. “It's Meghan.”

That, I was not expecting. An unanticipated fire of jealousy burned in my gut. “What happened,” I retorted, failing to remain removed.

Graham rubbed the nape of his neck and struggled to find the words, “I'm just...”

I advanced closer to him on the couch and our thighs touched, causing a bolt of electricity to shoot throughout my body. “What?”

“Confused.”

I bit my lip, my face unintentionally moving closer to his. He ran his hand through his shaggy hair and I longed to be the one to do so, “About what?” I implored.

He mimicked me and moved closer, his legs relaxing and separating. “It's just...my dad...and Meghan...and...” He trailed off.

“And...” I breathed, getting lost in his eyes as mine travelled from his lips then back up.