Part 19

A good part of the day had passed by the time Darcy made his way back to Netherfield, but he did not regret it. He had enjoyed his walk with Elizabeth far more than he had a right to, with things still so at odds between him and his cousin. What was more, Elizabeth had seemed to enjoy walking with him. That thought lifted his spirits, buoying him along the last few yards towards home. He would mend things with Richard today, he thought, and not allow matters to fester any longer. There would be some explanation, surely, some reason for Richard's apparent friendliness with George Wickham. Darcy's smile faded. Again, Wickham was causing him strife merely by existing on the periphery of his life, and again, Darcy had allowed the man free rein over his thoughts. He shook his head. No more.

Forcibly returning his mind to thoughts of Elizabeth, he was still smiling as he crossed the threshold of Netherfield Park, but he came to a sudden stop with the realisation that the house was not deserted, as it had been when he had left it. He could hear voices. Not the hushed, whispered conversations that took place between servants as they worked, but the raised, comfortable voices of people who felt entirely at home.

Did someone call? Darcy could count on one hand the people he knew well enough in Meryton to imagine them calling on him at home and the majority of those people he had left behind him at Longbourn. He was sure of it. Then who...?

"Mr Darcy!"

Caroline Bingley had spotted him first, leaping to her feet and scurrying across the Netherfield parlour to greet him.

"Thank goodness you are here! You can talk some sense into my brother!" Her eyebrows drew together in a frown but she was visibly concerned about Charles who, Darcy could see now, was pale and agitated, stalking back and forwards before the fire like a caged animal.

"What are you -"

Darcy did not complete his question before he acknowledged a third figure in the large, airy parlour. His heart sank into his boots and he prayed his disappointment was not evident in his voice.

"Georgiana."

"You mustn't mind me coming, William," she said, evidently anticipating his protests and heading them off at the pass. "I could hardly let Caroline come without support. Not when her brother is -"

"Is what?" Charles asked, turning wildly towards Georgiana, his eyes flashing with more emotion than Darcy had ever seen there before. "I know you have been discussing me, you and Caroline. Well, do not keep your opinions to yourself." He spun around to face Caroline and Darcy, his eyes blazing with emotion. "I am irrational, I suppose? I am acting too hastily." He shook his head. "There is no degree of haste too much. And I certainly mean to avoid listening to your advice in future, Caroline. It is your fault I left Hertfordshire, to begin with. If I had not..."

He sagged, then, all the fight flowing out of him, and gripped hold of the mantelpiece to steady himself.

Darcy went straight to his side, guiding him into a chair.

"You look exhausted," he remarked, to nobody in particular. "When did you arrive? Have you eaten?"

He could not bring himself to look at Georgiana but addressed his comments to the entire room.

"Yes, we must eat something." Caroline was eager to have some occupation and busied herself in requesting some refreshments be brought to the parlour, slipping out of the room long enough for Georgiana to slip silently to Darcy's side.

"I meant to help -" she began.

"I told you to remain in London." Darcy's voice was cold and he knew Georgiana was hurt by it. She recoiled, the light in her eyes dimming, and he instantly regretted not keeping himself in better check. He drew in a breath and tried again. "This is a mess, Georgie. I do not know -"

"Damned right it is a mess!" Charles grumbled from his chair. "You ought to have written to me sooner, Darcy. I have been going half-mad waiting to hear from you. Is it any wonder I came as soon as I received word that it is true? That my Jane is - is betrothed." He spat out the word as if he could not bear the taste of it and Georgiana and Darcy exchanged a look.

"How is Jane?" Georgiana asked, addressing her words in a whisper she hoped would not carry to Bingley's ears. "And how is Richard?"

"They are both well," Darcy said, shortly. "By all accounts well and happy."

"Accounts?" Georgiana frowned. "Then you have not seen them?"

"Here we are!" Caroline cooed, throwing open the door to a procession of servants who brought what seemed like half of the Netherfield pantry up to offer to their newly-arrived guests. "I think it best we follow your wise advice, Mr Darcy, and take some refreshments before we go any further with anything." Her eyes flitted to her brother, concern etched into her face. "Charles, you will feel much better once you have eaten."

"I am not hungry." Charles scowled, but obediently accepted the tea Caroline poured for him and drank half a cup down without protest. He soon moved onto a small slice of fruit cake and then began heaping his plate with food, eating as if he had not done for days.

"Will you take a cup of tea, Mr Darcy?" Caroline asked, pouring him one anyway and striding over to where he stood, observing his friend from a distance. She thrust the cup into his hand but did not immediately let go, forcing him to meet her gaze.

"My brother is distraught," she whispered, her back to Charles and her words designed to be heard by only Darcy. "He has come to challenge Colonel Fitzwilliam." Her voice dropped still lower so that she ended up merely mouthing the words. "To a duel."

"A duel?" Darcy flinched, spilling tea over the side of his cup and scalding his thumb. He swallowed a curse, and let go of his hold on the cup, turning to Charles. "You can't be serious."

"I can and I am," Charles said, with a business-like nod. He continued to eat with vigour, his words muffled with chewing. "Fitzwilliam has acted abominably and needs to be brought to task. I know he is your cousin, but -"

"He is also far better at pistols than you," Georgiana ventured, dropping to her knees beside Charles's chair and clinging pleadingly to his arm. "Be sensible, Charles. It is not worth an injury -"

"I am tired of being told what I must do by ladies who think they know better," Charles retorted, shaking off Georgiana's grip and ignoring her pleas. He turned to Darcy, fixing his eyes on his friend with surprising calm. "I only come to you first, Darcy, to see if you will be my second. There's nobody I trust more with my life."

Darcy swallowed, considering the gravity of his friend's question. To second anybody in a duel was a large ask, but to be pitted against his own cousin?

"Please, Mr Darcy," Caroline asked, her voice tremulous with tears. "If there is anybody who can help us, it is you. Please do not refuse us now."