Part 13

Richard waited a full minute after George Wickham walked away before he let his smile drop, once he was certain his so-called friend would not look back.

So-called friend. How had Wickham become anything close to a friend, so-called or otherwise? Richard could not believe how he had allowed himself to once again be manipulated by George Wickham, or how much harder it would be to extricate himself from the man's grip now that Darcy was back in Hertfordshire.

This short conversation with Wickham had made one thing abundantly clear to Richard, and that was that whatever influence he thought he had over Wickham it did not extend as far as he had imagined. He had tried everything short of actively bribing Wickham to leave Meryton, and he had only held off from doing that because he knew it would betray just how eagerly Richard wanted him gone. Knowledge was, and had always been, power to George Wickham and Richard was certainly not about to give him any more of that.

He sighed, rubbing at the frown that had carved itself into his forehead and wondering if he could somehow persuade Colonel Forster to write and request Wickham's presence at his side. That might succeed in making him go, but how could he pose the question to Forster without garnering further questioning from him, or, worse, risk him sharing the truth over too much brandy that Wickham's summons had originated with Colonel Fitzwilliam oh-so-coincidentally at the time of his wedding.

There is time yet, he reminded himself. He was sure he would conceive of a fool-proof plan to banish George Wickham before the wedding was upon them and before Georgiana stepped foot into Hertfordshire. And before Darcy can learn that we have been like friends during my tenure in Meryton. This was the secret he most wanted to keep to himself, for he knew his cousin would not view any association with George Wickham as wise, no matter what line of defence Richard mounted. He was not entirely sure he had convinced himself, pragmatic or not, that what he was doing was right. Is it worth all this to keep Wickham in check? he wondered. Maybe he should beat him to the punch and confess all to Darcy, let the chips fall where they may. He grew serious. No. He was not ready to sacrifice the one friendship that truly valued.

"Colonel Fitzwilliam!"

Richard straightened at the sound of someone calling him by name - a female someone. He turned, managing to rearrange his features into a smile just in time to spot Elizabeth Bennet and her sister walking across the busy square towards him.

"Good morning!"

"Good morning, Miss Elizabeth." He bowed, recalling the name of the quiet, dark-haired sister as he straightened and deploying it immediately. "And Miss Mary. Good day." He made a show of peering into their basket and chuckled. "I trust your morning has been successful?"

"Moderately," Elizabeth said, shouldering her paper-wrapped burdens and nudging Mary as she did so. "We are about to make our way home to Longbourn but could not resist passing by the barracks to say hello to our friends."

"Alas, you have found only me!" Colonel Fitzwilliam assumed a tragical position, and both girls laughed.

"Did your cousin find you?" Mary asked, sliding her basket from one arm to another.

"Darcy? Is he here?" Concern flashed through Richard's veins and he glanced around as if expecting at that moment to see his cousin lurking in some shadowy enclave, poised to pounce. Nonsense, he reminded himself. Your guilty conscience is working overtime.

"We saw him a little while ago," Elizabeth said, with a vague, fixed smile. "I suppose he was too busy."

"He mentioned he wished to see you." Mary shot her sister a look Richard could not quite read. "Perhaps he has been waylaid."

"Well, he shall know precisely where to find me," Richard said, with a philosophical shrug. "I am duty-bound to stay here all day." Chivalry reproached him and he reached forward to take Mary's basket. "Which is not to say I can be of no assistance to you ladies. You would benefit from an escort back to Longbourn, I am sure. Fear not, I'm sure I can find a recruit or two with time on their hands that would be more than content to carry your purchases for you."

"Oh, that's not necessary!" Mary said, with a shy smile.

"But very kind of you to offer." Elizabeth returned her sister's glare with one of her own. "Jane is at home," she put in, with a knowing look. "But I am sure she will be pleased to hear that we ran into you."

"You must tell her I was hard at work," Richard said, with a grin. "So busy and productive that I could not spare more than a moment, but when I did I enquired chiefly after her wellbeing." He raised his eyebrows. "And is she well?"

"Perfectly!" Elizabeth sighed. "Is she ever anything else?"

"You are goading me into saying something I may regret, Miss Elizabeth." Richard's smile grew. "If I agree with you that Jane is perfectly well, always, I am undoubtedly committing some unforeseen slight against the two charming young ladies before me. If I favour you, it is a slight you will hurry home to report to Jane, and I shall be forced to pay for my sins when next we meet." He made a show of sealing his lips. "Therefore I will stay silent and merely wish you good day."

Elizabeth laughed, sliding her free arm through Mary's and steering her back towards the road.

"Good day, Colonel Fitzwilliam! No doubt we shall see you again soon. Perhaps this evening?"

"Perhaps," Richard said, waving at them. He paused, rethinking his commitments for the day and deciding, on a whim, that he would be better served by seeing Darcy than Jane that evening, whatever his heart might dictate. "I must confess I think it altogether likely you will not see me before tomorrow, and you must send my apologies to your family."

He straightened to attention and bowed them goodbye before turning back towards the barracks. He would write a note to Darcy now, inviting him to join him in dining at the inn favoured by members of the militia and thinking that to be with his cousin in the presence of so many other loud, amiable fellows might be to put him more at his ease.

Besides, it is the one place in all Meryton I can guarantee Wickham will not be this evening. I have just ensured he will be assigned elsewhere...

If he must discuss Wickham with Darcy, better he do so in public. With witnesses. His jaw set uncomfortably. He did not relish the thought of the evening ahead of him, but he must address the George-Wickham-shaped elephant in the room sooner rather than later, and until he did so he would not be able to fully relax, nor fully enjoy spending time with his cousin. Better to face the music now than risk discovery later.

And if I plan for it this evening, I shall have all afternoon to strategize my best plan of success.