Maze

Even with Demanitus' guidance, they were still getting lost and running into dead-ends. Eugene supposed that Varian excitedly asking him questions about himself wasn't helping matters, and it reminded him of when Varian got excited over meeting him. He couldn't help but feel a bit jealous that Varian didn't have that shine in his eyes about him anymore, but that was his own fault for not only crushing his image of him but also treating him horribly.

"Dead end!" Rapunzel giggled as they headed back to the straightway. "This is so much fun!" She looked back at her journal. "Okay, okay, okay. So, that was a...right turn?"

"Yeah." Varian nodded.

They stopped and looked at a skeleton lying on the ground. "...Hey, why are skeletons always found naked?" Varian asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You know...I never actually wondered before." Eugene admitted. "But, now it's going to keep me up at night!"

Varian giggled. "Sorry!"

"Because fabric decomposes. That skeleton has been here for a long time." Demanitus said patiently.

"Ohh." Varian nodded. "That makes sense."

"Alternately, someone robbed their dead body." Eugene said as they walked on.

"Why would they do that?" Rapunzel asked.

"Because some people take what they can get." Eugene replied.

"Have you ever done that?" Varian asked.

"Ah, no. No. I don't even like looking at dead bodies, I certainly wouldn't rob a random one I came across in a maze or something. In fact, let's stop talking about it. Hey, look, carvings!" He pointed ahead of them.

"There's words!" Rapunzel ran forward.

Varian came up next to her. "'A room with no way in, and no way out'."

"'See it in the rain, but never in a drought'." Rapunzel finished.

"It's a riddle." Varian looked thoughtful. "No way in...no way out...see it in rain...but never in a drought. so it has to be wet to see it." He snapped his fingers. "I got it! It's a mushroom!"

"Aww, I wanted to answer it!" Rapunzel pouted.

"Okay, you can do the next one." Varian grinned. "I doubt that's the only one."

"I. Love. Riddles!" Rapunzel said excitedly.

"Indeed, riddles will help you solve the maze, so there are many." Demanitus confirmed.

"Riddles? Mazes? Why?" Eugene groaned.

"And also..." Demanitus climbed onto Eugene's shoulders, "faith is required."

"Well, we left her back in Corona." Varian joked.

"Huh?" Eugene blinked.

"One of the maids in the castle, the girl my age? Her name is Faith." Varian grinned.

"Oh my gosh, I almost forgot about her!" Rapunzel gasped. "Let me guess. Are you two friends?" She nudged Varian teasingly.

"Eh, we get along. We didn't spend much time together, though, we met during the science expo. you know, when I was helping Cassandra with her chores so she could be my assistant, a promise she never actually followed through on? Good times." He looked around.

"Heh...yeah." Rapunzel nodded, glancing away. "I did tell her off for that, but...you know Cassandra."

"Yes, well, I meant faith in what you cannot see. Such as magic." Demanitus said calmly.