6

GUPTA EMPIRE 400 AD

AURORA 

The first thing I feel is my shoulder. The pain has resolved to a low throbbing, but it's still really present. 

It takes me a moment for everything to come flooding back, my brain still drunk off whatever it was that I had drunk, but when it does, my eyes flash open in panic. 

The bar. 

The fight

The knife 

Druig. 

I sit up straight, the sudden movement making my shoulder jolt in pain. 

"I would be careful if I were you" Druig's voice comes from the back of the room, startling me completely. 

It takes me a moment to realize this is actually not my room on the ship, it's actually his. 

"Why am I in your room?" I ask, my voice coming out raspy. 

He scowls, leaning up from the wall and taking a few steps towards me. He holds a glint of laughter in his eyes, his mouth arching up slightly into a smile. 

"A 'thank you' would be nice? Maybe an, 'I owe you my life Druig I don't know what I would do without you' would be better" He jokes cockily, grabbing one of the chairs of the table next to the bed, where I am, and placing it beside me and taking a seat. 

I scoff, running a hand through my tangled hair. 

God, I must look like shit. I must smell like shit too. 

When I don't reply, expecting an answer to my previously asked question, he nods to my shoulder. Strangely enough, he doesn't seem to be as stand-offish as he normally is. 

If I didn't know better I would say he was... happy?  

"You dislocated your shoulder. I had to pop it back into place while you were passed out" He pauses, his lips pursing. "What do you remember" 

"Uhh" I look around, noticing that it's still night, but the first rays of light are coming over the mountains. 

"I remember being at the bar, the man almost killing me, and then you showed up and I fainted" I explain, nodding and turning to him. 

He frowns, leaning back on his chair. 

"You don't remember anything else?" He asks, his tone slightly deflated. 

I can see as the wall behind his eyes slides up again, concealing whatever sliver of emotion they had had a few seconds before. 

I shake my head, already wanting to get out of here. Being in Druig's room uneased me. I didn't like sleeping in the same place people I hated slept in. 

I stand up carefully, making sure not to put any weight on my shoulder. Druig's eyes follow me as I grab my knives, which are on the table. 

He doesn't say anything as I take a look around his room, taking in everything. 

It looked just like I thought it would. 

Druig really seemed to like black, apparently. His headboard was black, his table was a dark mahogany color. There seemed to be an array of grays, and some deep reds, including some artifacts that he'd collected over the years.