Socks to match~ Chapter 3

“During your journey on your final flight home. White wings will carry you and you will be flown. To the pearly gates of Heaven, where they will usher you in. To the feet of your Lord, your Saviour, and your friend. He will hold you in his arms and the angels will sing. As another one of His children is delivered by white wings.” – The White Chariot By Julie Johnson

“And that concludes the church service. If everyone can please proceed to the next room, we will begin the viewing.”

I stiffen when I hear those dreaded words.

The viewing

I watch as dozens of people get up and make their way to the next room. I had no idea Grace knew so many people- or well I did know, but I had no idea so many would come to her funeral. Many of them were wearing brightly colored clothes, and many were wearing smiles on their faces. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought this was a party.

It was Grace’s idea. She specifically said no one could wear black to her funeral, she said it would be too drab and depressing. She was always like that, bright and exuberant…sometimes a bit too much.

“Grace, black is the color of mourning. People just don’t wear colorful clothes to events like that, it just isn’t done. We aren’t having a shin dig.” I try to explain to Grace as we sit in the living room trying to plan her funeral.

I never even wanted to mention the word “Funeral”, let alone discus Grace’s. But she is so damn persistent.

“Why can’t my funeral be a big ol’ shin dig?” Grace questions, “Why can’t we wear brightly colored clothes and have fun?”

“Because you will be dead!” I yell, my patience finally snapping, “Is that what you want me to say, Grace? That you will be dead? That there will be no point in smiling or having fun because you will be gone? Dammit why are you acting like this is just a big joke?”

I stand up and angrily run my fingers through my hair. It seems like I’m the only one who is being affected by Grace’s situation, like I’m the only one who is mad at the world- while Grace is smiling and talking about having a magician at her funeral and rainbow balloons, I’m here worrying about her health, about how much time she has left.

It’s as if I’m the only one who is afraid of her death.

I hear the couch creek as Grace gets up, I hear her feet quietly pad over to me and then moments later, I feel her arms wrap around my waste as she rest her head on my back.

“Hey Harry, guess what?” She whispers as she nuzzles her head in my back.

I sigh inwardly, I know what she is doing- and it’s working.

“What?” I say as I turn around to face her. She peer up at me threw her long lashes and she gets up on her tip toes.

“I’m in love with you.”

I bend down and meet her the rest of the way. Our lips brush against each other before we break apart.

Grace is still holding me around my waste, and her smile is bright and dazzling- despite the somber topic we were discussing only moments ago.

“You know,” Grace says as her fingers play with my curls, a habit of hers that she usually does when she is trying to soften me up, “I want your suit to be blue. A nice dark blue, and of course you would wear a bowtie.”

Even though she is discussing what I would wear to her funeral, she isn’t even uncomfortable and scared. She is talking like we are picking out what I’m going to wear for our next date.

I peer down at her, no matter how hard I try- she just won’t let the sadness get to me. Even though she is the one who is hurting, she continues to protect me.

“I will even have socks to match.” I say as I kiss her nose.

A huge grin appeared on her face and she jumped and wrapped her legs around me. I stumbled back and placed my arms around her to keep her up.

“Hey Grace,” I whisper as I lean my forehead against hers.

“What?” she giggles as she tightens her hold around my neck.

“I’m in love with you.”

“Harry.”

My blink a couple of times snapping out of the memory.

“Harry, honey it’s time to go.” Says my mother, she is gently pulling my arm.

I hadn’t even noticed the whole room cleared out, my mother and I are the only one in the church pews.

I look down and roll up my pants, looking at my dark blue socks- I smile to myself as I roll my pants back down.

Perfectly matching.

“Harry?” My mother says as she looks at me questionably.

I stand up and kiss her on the forehead, “Let’s go.”

As we make our way to the next room my mother stops me.

I turn to look at her, and I raise my eyebrow.

She smiles and she wiggles my bow tie around, “It was a bit crooked.”

I chuckle as nudge my mom towards the door.

“Hmm, your mood has seemed to improve immensely.” She comments as she grabs the door handle.

“I guess I realized that I’m going to be okay. That I’m ready.”

This chapter is a bit short, but I hope you all enjoyed it. As you can see, this story will be going back and forth between Harry's memories and Harry's present.

Just to make this clear, ALL of the boys will be in this story, but I am the type of writer that likes to introduce the plot gradually- not all at once. So if you want to know what happens, I guess you will have to keep reading! ^_^