(Chapter 8)

"Nate?" I called, into the dense forest. "Nate?"

I was completely and utterly lost. We'd avoided the forest, because of this specific reason. It was so easy to get lost in.

"Ade?!" Noah yelled, joining me. "Where are you?"

I ran faster. I didn't want to see his face right now. That would just make me more confused about the feelings tearing at my chest right now.

"Nate!" I yelled, with a real panic this time. I had to find him, or I'll be in this forest with Noah alone. My paintball gun banged painfully against my hip as I ran. "Nate -"

I stopped. I caught a glimpse of blue paint on a black costume. It was Nate, alright. I glanced behind me. I'd lost Noah a long time ago. It was safe for me to proceed slowly.

There was a sound, from behind a tree.

I tiptoed through to it, treading carefully through the woodland floor. A branch snapped, beneath my foot, but it was quickly masked by another sound...Keri was sighing...

A sigh of longing.

I frowned, and walked closer. I walked to one side, and stumbled back.

Keri and Nate, kissing behind the tree. Keri had Nate pushed up against the bark, their paintballing armours bashing together as they made out, passionately. I gasped, and Keri tore away from Nate. My eyes wouldn't leave Nate's face. Slowly, realization returned to his dazed eyes.

I managed to move, stumbling through the trees blindly. Tears fell from my eyes, as I covered my lips to stop myself from screaming.

Why am I feeling like this?! This is wrong, all wrong! This is not how it's meant to be.

I ran, right banging into Noah's chest. I hit against his chest, hard, trying to make his strong arms let go.

"Ade?" he said, confused. "Are you okay?"

I looked up, into his crystal clear green eyes. And pulled myself away. I was Adrianna. I never needed anyone else. I was my own person, independent and strong. I didn't need Noah's pity.

"Fine," I replied, with a smile that was almost convincing.

***

"Mom, do we have to do this?" I asked my Mom, sighing.

"Yes," she replied primly. Her eyes looked up and down my outfit, looking dissatisfied. "Aren't you going to wear a dress?"

"Do I ever wear dresses?"

"No, but I thought today you would make a sincere effort. This is the Harris' we're talking about! We should make an effort for them!"

"Why?"

"Why?!" she repeated, laughing like a madwoman. "Because they're the Harris'!"

"The way I see it, their surnames are the only thing you can seem to remember about them."

"That's not true! I know their first names..."

"You have nothing in common with those people."

"We live on this street. So do they."

"Sharing a street address does not mean you have anything in common with them."

She glared at me. "I thought you would be pleased. Eli's coming back next week. He's taking a week off from University, and is deciding to spend it with you. Aren't you honored?"

"My brother's coming back?" I asked, perking up significantly. "That's awesome!"

"That it is," she said. She sighed. "Now, how about that dress?"

My Mother remains the only woman who can dodge my spinning kick.

***

This barbeque was beyond boring.

My prediction had been right. The two families had absolutely nothing in common. We sat around the table in absolute silence, all trying or best to eat the sausages, which were burnt on the outside, yet mushy on the inside, without our mutual disgust being noticed.

"So...do you like...skiing?" Mr. Harris said, grasping desperately at any topic of conversation.

"No," my parents said together.

"I like skiing!" I said immediately. Anything to stop the gaping silence.

"Oh yeah?" Nate said, smirking at me. All in all, the silence didn't seem to be bothering him. He kept looking at me, and smiling. I did my best to ignore him. After all I was mad at him. Not because I was jealous (perish the thought!), but because he was just playing Keri. Yep, that's my excellent excuse. "When have you ever been skiing?"

"All the time!" I snapped.

"No, you haven't," my Mom said. "Has she, Arthur?"

"I don't know," my Dad grunted back. He seemed to actually be enjoying the sausages. It was hard to tell. He never really talked, my father.

"Exactly," my Mom said, like Dad had agreed with her. "You've never been skiing."

The Harris' all turned to me, staring at my face. My cheeks burnt.

"But..." I mumbled. "I've always enjoyed the concept of skiing...you know, the woody planks, and the...sticks and things."

We relapsed into silence.

Nate winked at me, and I did my best to ignore him.

***

I'd stripped off my jeans, and pulled on my pyjamas. Mom bustled into my room, being all busy and Mom-like.

"Do you want me to tuck you in?" she asked, all smiley.

I looked at her like she was mad. "How old am I?"

"Alright, no need to get snarky," she snapped, bristling. Then she smiled again. "Didn't today go well?"

I gaped at her. "No, Mom, it did not go well! The silence was so painful I almost had to shoot my own brains out!"

"What silence? There was no silence at all! Honestly, honey, you're going mad. I'll be going now."

I stared at her disappearing back in disbelief.

Did she enjoy being in her crazy little world?

She flicked the lights off for me. The only light left in my room was the one from Nate's window. I sighed. I'd given up on getting him to switch the lights off, and had resolved to simply close the windows.

When I stood up, Nate caught my eye. He was in his bedroom, dancing. And not in a cool way. Definitely not in a cool way. He looked like a cross between a duck, and a man with a Scorpion in his underwear.

I bit my lip, holding back laughter. He was really cute, when he was like this. I can't believe he didn't think that anyone would see him...I had to take a picture of this. I pulled out my mobile phone, and took a quick snap, just as he turned around.

He immediately stopped gyrating, and he gaped at me. I smirked. Sweet revenge.

I had no idea what I was avenging, but I was avenging him good.

I gave him another smile, as I drew my windows closed.

***

Author's Note: Again, sorry about shoooort chapter...It's just so painfully hard working out my new book. My new book is going to be romance/fantasy/action. I combined fantasy and action, in the end. I can practically dying trying to work out the stupid plot... Again, it's coming out on 20th of March!!!

Vomment!!!