How Can This Be Real?

8 years before the crash

The alarm clock sounded in their bedroom. Derek's hand was on Meredith's belly. He started drawing circles on her stomach and her eyes soon opened.

"Morning." She mumbles. "What time is it?"

"Just after 5.15."

"Okay. I have to be in at work by 6."

"Me too."

"But I don't want to get up. I want to stay here in the warm cosiness. Our cocoon. Our warm, peaceful, uninterrupted cocoon."

"You do realise in a months' time we won't have this cocoon of peacefulness and no interruptions. There will be a crying baby up all night."

"But it will be our baby. It is allowed to interrupt and not be peaceful. It is half of you and half of me. It will be ours. Our baby. The thing that we will love and shower in love and attention and have running around our house and when it wakes us up in the morning with a kiss and their cold noses. Those moments when they start talking, walking and growing up. It's our baby. Even if it ruins my vagina and our sex life it is still our baby."

"Your vagina?" He says laughing. "Our sex life yeah it might disappear for a while but I will still love you and our vagina ruining baby."

Meredith giggled at him. "Our vagina ruining baby. Oh if I am in labour with this baby for 48 hours we can always use it against the baby whenever he yells at us."

"Oh that is an amazing idea, and then we can tell him about our ruined sex life."

"I don't think I would want to guilt the baby about that."

"Your right about that." He says kissing her. "We better get going."

The two of them dressed and ate before leaving home.

"Rounds started 10 seconds ago. I don't care about your personal problems you need to leave your personal problems outside those front doors and focus on other people's problems." Meredith says to her interns. "Because it seems that all your personal problems have been affecting you practicing medicine. Move now."

The interns rushed out of the locker room and Meredith out. They followed Meredith and Cristina.

"What's wrong with you?" Cristina asks.

"Oh my interns' personal problems are getting in the way and they assume that they matter more than being doctors and I have a grumpy dementia patient as well today."

"So your baby isn't making you angry?"

"My baby is making me feel amazing but I am really tired and moody."

"Well you are 8 months pregnant. You should be on maternity leave at this very moment."

"Well it is my second last day I am on maternity leave as of Saturday then I can rest up and get ready for my baby. Your godchild."

"Yes my godchild."

"Anyway I have to go tend to my dementia patient."

"Mer you do realise that you can pass the patient over to someone else if he is a hassle."

"No because then I am not being an unreasonable doctor."

"But isn't being an unreasonable doctor better for your health then your reputation."