1. Death is Never the End

"Love will only lead you to pain."

Irene had learned her lesson, but it was too late. Now, her days were getting decreased, the more she breathes.

The floor was damp and cold. With its foul smell gushing her nose. And the dim light flattered upon the lifeless sky pupils of the woman, who had long given up the desire to live and hope to survive.

But, at this moment, there was the sound of soft footprints from a distance.

"Y-your Majesty!" The Guard jolted and widened his eyes, when he noticed the figure of the highest position in this humble jail.

"From here on," replied a woman voice, "I will go alone."

"B-but, Your Majesty, she's an evil-"

"No. She is my last family and the child I raised myself, no different from my own. I want to talk to her privately for one last time."

"Your Majesty is too generous. Even though she did such thing to your so-!" The Guard broke off his words and peeked a nervous gaze at the Emperor. How could he be so careless as to mention her dead son?! "T-then, I will be leaving," stuttered the afraid Guard with his hastened feet to the exit.

Then, the heavy footsteps of the guard got further and further, and the light steps that made an elegant sound got closer and closer.

Squeek...!

The opening prison door made a noise to announce the arrival of the gorgeous woman. Her clothing fancied with expensive jewellery and ornaments was befitting of her status.

Veronica Estia La Arcadia, the Emperor of the Arcadia Empire, and she who will soon take the throne of the Obelian Empire.

"Hello, my dear."

Irene looked up.

Unlike the voice sugared with sympathy, the noblewoman's eyes were fierce with unknown desire.

There was a time when Irene believed Veronica was her everything. The hero in the fairytales, the family she had yearned for, and the purpose of her life. However, the harsh reality was that...

'She was the disaster to my entire life.'

"Poor Irene," The melodious tone oozing around Irene sounded like that of a snake.

"I told you, " said her Aunt, "...you are a being that shouldn't have been born. All of this could've been prevented had you listened."

Irene, who was listening without expression until now, smiled in dismay.

Yes, that's true. If only she wasn't born, if she didn't beg for this woman's love like a fool, none of the tragedy may have occurred. Many innocent people would've survived. And, he would've never died either.

It was all her fault.

She just wanted to be loved.

And that was also her fault.

"My dearest niece, your throat will be slit open tomorrow. And the crowd is going to enjoy your tragic death with a toast." Veronica was enthusiastic-"Your head will be served dripping on the ground and rolling over the dirt."-as if seeing Irene's pain was the greatest joy of her life.

Her red lip was grinning wide with mischief, as the truth hidden behind her thick mask surged. Oh, she was looking forward to this very moment for the longest time. Why does time seem to be moving slower than a sloth?

Hah... Veronica exhaled in impatience, her gaze meeting with the dull one of Irene. Though lifeless, a pair of orbs identical to gems glinting under the sea couldn't be hidden by any means.

The Jewelled Eyes, which only the direct lines of the Imperial family of Obelia could possess.

However, the Obelia people believed that all the existing Imperial bloodlines had ended. Those fools would never be able to imagine the last one dying right in front of their eyes. And the whole Empire is going to be in her palms. Veronica sang a playful hmm~ at her perfect scheme.

Her hands then reached out to trail down the black patterns printed on Irene's small face. It was the leash Veronica had put on her niece. A type of Black Magic that made Irene unable to resist her every word.

On the other hand, Irene was barely tolerating the urge to yank away from the touch that made her skin crawl. It was a disgusting feeling like hundreds and thousands of insects were trudging over her bare skin.

Nevertheless, she had to endure it-not because of her hands tightly tied in chains-because this was a necessary step toward her freedom.

All her life, Irene was forced to take many innocent lives without her will. Even now, her death seems to be going to be the same. If she was going to die no matter what, she'd rather choose her own ending.

This was the last revenge Irene, in her powerless state, could do.

She closed her eyes and took a braving breath. Irene was going to perform the irreversible act.

Her Death.

"Guh..."

Blood dribbled down from her throat, and the metallic taste spread. Her guts felt like being torn apart, along with the sharp pain whacking through her chest.

Is this the ending she deserves? Irene had been nothing but a puppet for others to use. How absurd. A bitter smile spread around the dying one's lips.

As soon as the unique taboo of blackness slowly vanished and unveiled Irene's white complexion, Veronica could sense the leash escaping her grasp. Impossible. How could she break the curse? But, that question wasn't the most important at this moment.

With her teeth gritting, Veronica yelled, "You! Stop right this instant! Or else you'll meet something more terrible than death!" Her eyes which should've celebrated in joyous victory fluttered with deep redness.

"For me..." Due to vomiting blood, Irene's voice was fragile, yet clear. "...living is more horrible than the thing you're afraid of."

Veronica's beautiful face crumbled, as the words continued, "...Is this not enough? You have already taken everything away from me. You ruined my whole life . . . "

"How ridiculous. I ruined your life? No! You are the one that turned my life upside down! After all that, you think of dying as you want?!"

Irene closed her tight lips and said no more. Reacting to a senseless person would only bring her more headaches. She was tired, too tired to argue. Her painful and miserable life. She just wants to end this all. That was her only wish.

"Don't die. No, you can't die! UNLESS IT IS IN MY HANDS!" Veronica sprang to her feet and ran headlong out of the dungeon with urgent strides.

Once again, silence hovered into the dungeon, where a figure was laying on the hard ground.

The tingling sensation on Irene's arms and legs ceased away, and slowly, her heartbeat faded.

'Death would be a sweet escape from this terrible life.'

Her eyelids closed gradually, as Irene waited for peace and serenity to descend. Soon enough, Darkness pervaded the cold body which had lost its warmth.

A lonely soul had escaped out of this cruel world.

It was her last breath...

But, she opened her eyes again.

For everyone who has reached this far, let us give applause for votes! Thank you very much!