Chapter ten The Search For Gemma

Finn rushed down to the lobby.  He could not find Gemma anywhere.  What did the note say?  The fountain.  He needed to get to the fountain.  He ran outside and down the road to the square where the fountain was.   He stopped and turned around in circles.  Where was she? How was he going to find her in a city of two million people.

    He looked at all the surrounding buildings.  Could she be in one of them?  This was impossible.  Suddenly a boy on a skateboard bumped into him at the same time he pressed something into Finn’s hand.  Shocked, Finn searched for the boy but the crowed of people swallowed him up.

    Stunned, Finn sat down on the wall of the fountain and unfolded the note.  6421 Fleet Street. Was all that was written on the paper.  What did it mean?  Was it an address?  Was that where Gemma was?  He couldn’t risk it not being where she was .  He needed to go there.

    He stood.  He needed to find a taxi.  He needed to find this address.  He looked around until he saw an empty taxi waiting at the curb. 

    The driver, a young Frenchmen stood beside his taxi.  Eagerly, offering his services.

    “Do you speak English?” Finn asked.

    “Yes.  I learn the language from tape,” he said in broken English.

    “Can you take me to this address.?”  Finn shone him the notes to him   

    “Henri, can take you anywhere you want to go.”

    Finn got into the back seat.

    “You are an American, no?” Henri asked.

    Finn nodded.  “Can you hurry please.”

    Henri smiled. “Just like in the movies.”  He pulled away from the curb, dodging on coming traffic.  Oblivious, to the cars honking Henri drove at breakneck speed, weaving in and out of traffic.  “You want me to drive like Vin Diesel, I can do that.”

    Finn held onto the door handle as Henri hit the gas pedal.  “Uh,...”

    “I like American movies.   Fast car’s and pretty girls.    I watch them on my satellite t.v”

    Finn closed his eyes as Henri swerved at the last minute to avoid miss hitting a car.
He squealed to a stop in front of an boarded up abandon building.  The sign above the door was faded and dull but written in English.  Most of the window were broken or missing.  Some of them were boarded up like the door.

    “You sure this is the place you want to be?” Henri said.  “It looks like no one has been here in years.”

    “I’m sure this is the place.  The note said 6421 Fleet Street.”

    “I don’t know,” Henri was shaking his head.  “See that sign, that is a demolition sign.  This building is condemn.  It is scheduled to be torn down.  You can’t go in there.”

    “I have to.  I need to check it out.”  Finn got out of the car.

    “I will wait for you right here,” Henri said.

    Finn walked up to the door.  The boards that were coving the door was loose, pushing it aside Finn slipped through the opening.

    The inside was worst then the outside.  Peeling wallpaper hung in unraveling lumps.  Graffiti covered every wall.  Light filter in from the cracks in the boards coving the window. Dust danced in the light.

    A muffled thump came from upstairs.   Gemma!

    The stairs and the hallways was filled with dust and debris from years of neglect.  But Finn saw footprints leading to one room’

    He approached the door slowly.  He had no idea who or what was on the other side.

    Slowly, he pushed the door open hoping it wouldn’t squeak in case someone besides Gemma was on the other side.  But what he saw nearly made him sick. 

    Gemma was tied to a chair, her head was bowed and she wasn’t moving.  By the amount of blood on her shirt Finn knew she had been worked over.

    Pushing the door open wider he could see that she was alone.  Suddenly Gemma raised her head and tears filled her eyes.  He face had multiple cuts and bruises.  One eye was almost close and he lip was swollen.

    Rushing over, Finn untied her.  “I’m glad you came,” she whispered. Her throat was dry and raw from screaming.  I didn’t think you would fine me.”

    “I had some help,” Finn helped her stand.  “Who did this to you, Jonathan?”

    “No, Guy did.  Remember him.”

    “The guy at Notre Dame?”

    Gemma nodded then winced.  “He’s a member of The Order.  Finn?”

    Finn looked at her.

    “I told him about Katherine.  I tried not to but...”

    “Shhh, it’s alright.  I found you, that all that matters.”

    “We need to hurry Finn.  They are going to demolish this building.  Guy told me. It would be soon.”  She shuddered, Guy was going to leave her tied to the chair when they tore down the building.

    Suddenly a great roar filled the room as the building shook.   “We need to get out.”

    Leaning on Finn, Gemma limped down the hall to the stairs.  They just made it to the bottom when the wall behind them came crashing down.

    Kicking the door open Finn ushered Gemma out the door.  True to his word, Henri was still waiting for them.

    Sitting in the back seat as Henri drove away Gemma leaned her head on Finn shoulder as they headed straight for their hotel.