Taken at 17

JAZLYN'S POV

I live in a nobody town in Wisconsin. Everyone knows everything about everyone. People know about your husbands affair before you do. If you plan on doing anything exciting with your life you need a one way ticket out of here. Like I said, everyone knows everything, so everyone knows about my mothers affair back in 2008. Everyone knows about a school teachers daughter getting pregnant at 15.

There really isn't a middle class here. You're either rich or poor. Not average. My family was considered upper class because of my fathers success as a lawyer. My mother of course was considered a joke or a gold digger back when her affair with a cop surfaced. Although my father never told her to leave. He never put her down or called her a name. I could see that he was hurting on the inside and I couldn't forgive her for making him feel worthless.

Anyways it's summer of 2012. My dad had to fly to Japan for business. My mother was having a girls weekend in Santa Monica California. That left me and my older sister, Rebecca alone all week. I always felt safe in this quiet little town. My mom was about to leave for her flight. She came down the stairs with her 4 in stilettos click clacking on the marble floors. I'm finally starting to see my mom for who she is. Under all the high end makeup, hair extensions, false eye lashes and spray tan she was a real person (not including her rock hard boobs due to two boob jobs). "You sure you two girls will be alright?" My mom asked, but no matter the answer she wouldn't stay home with us and sacrifice her week. "Yeah mom, we're fine." I replied. Rebecca walked out of the room to get her ringing phone. "You know I trust you, Jazlyn?" Even though I was 17 and my sister was 20 I always felt more responsible. "I know mom. No parties, no boys, gotcha." Mom gave me a hug, then yelled for Rebecca. "REBECCA GET DOWN HER AND GIVE ME A HUG!" "I'll be right down." Rebecca yelled back. I was silent until Rebecca came running down the stairs,"Love you mom! Have a safe flight!" Rebecca said hugging mom for a split second then running back up the stairs. "Love you mom, bye!" She rushed out the door with her bags and screamed back "Don't forget to set the security system!"