Chapter 8: What happened?

John

"Miss Hale? Miss Hale!!!!"

I nearly shouted at her than and there. What did just happen??? My head was swirling with a ton of questions which rose in the present situation. I stood there, on the thereshold of her home, holding a unconscious Margaret in my arms. The agitation and anger I felt befor completly vanished within seconds, only leaving fear and helplessness instead. I looked at her face, and I couldnt do otherwise than praise her beautiful features and trace her jawline with my long fingers. But I noticed all colour drown from her face, making her look like a white and fragile porcelain doll. I must have stood some minutes there on the steps debating what to do, as people already started to notice and they burned me with their glares. Perfect. This is going to be the next tittle-tattle of Milton. I immediately straightened myself and carried her to the door of the Hale's house. My foot kicked the door, to get the attention from inside so that someone would open the door at last and free me from the judging gazes of the gossip-obsessed people of Milton. I didnt need to wait long until someone opened the door, but instead of the Servant which I expected, I saw a astonished Richard. God this day is getting worse and worse with every minute.

"John!! My God, please take her in, quick."

He led me through the door and closed it behind my back. He hurried me into the parlor and I placed her into the chair he directed me to. Richard started to get rid of her coat, so that she wont heat up. I was surprised that he didnt perforate me with all kinds of questions to get to know what exactly happened that brought her and myself into such and informal situation. Strangely he kept quiet and caressed her cheek while he kneeled beside her. I felt out of place, I really should excuse myself and go, but I found that I couldnt, my feet were like glued to the ground. I needed to know what happened just now. Why did she faint? Was she ill? Maybe she was just very tired. No that couldnt be, if your tired you dont fall suddenly to the ground like someone pushed a off-button. It was so agitating, I came up with no good explaination and I was desperete to know if she was alright.

Suddenly Richard returned his attention to me, eying me from head to toe as to get an information he was searching for, most likely he didnt know himself what was going on. But that also had to be untrue, as he was tranquillity it self. He was very calm, he wasnt paniking, giving me the impression that this wasnt the first time Margaret fainted or fell that way. He opened up his mouth, but then closed it again. Either he was trying to find the right words to ask me something or he was debating with himself whether to tell me what was going on or not. I was dying for an explaination but did my best to hide it.

Then he talked at last. "Could you please call for Dr. Donaldson, John? I know she would object to fetch him a second time in such a short period, but as she's unconscious..."

He didnt need to end the sentence, I knew what he meant. But his words made me nervous. Fetch him the second time? In a short period? When was he here the last time? Was he there for her mother, or to treat her over some illness? This was killing me, but I just nodded and exited the house to get Dr. Donaldson to treat Margaret.

I dont think that I ever ran this fast in my live. I wanted nothing more than her well being, even after she destroyed me after my proposal. She had to be fine, she was my life, she would always be. Finally I made it to Dr Donaldsons office and rushed into his office, not paying any attention on the questioning looks of the people I nearly ran into at my way. I stopped in front of his table where he was writing something that looked like a medicine recipe, my hands proped up at the end of his desk, my breathing heavy from the exertion. The Doktror looked surprised to see me as I was ill next to never. He shoved away the note he was writing and gave me an questioning and irritating look, his left brow nit into a frown.

"Miss Hale.." was all I could get out, my breathing still not controlled. I hated the moment right now, her name was the only thing that still glided down my tongue, I must have appeared like some lovestruck teenager. But I couldnt help it, I was so concerned for her now that the opinions of others meant nothing. But to my surprise he didnt ask me for any more information. He just stood up hurriedly and put some things in his bag, as if he already knew what he was going to need. That thought struck me. He knew already. He must realy have already visited her more often than I thought. Her condition must be really serious. Oh God I'm dying right now.

"Lets go!" He said loudly behind me, and tore me out of my thoughts at once. He was at the door already while I must have been in a situation like daydreaming, thinking about what was going on, when he indicated me to go out first. We ran back to the Hales home, when he spoke again and cut the silence between us.

"Do you know her case?" I was clearly taken aback with that question. The calling of it "HER CASE" scared me to death with it's seriousness. Would someone inlighten me please and release me from my ignorance???

"No, I dont know anything about it Doktor. I only know that she was outside on their doorstep when she fell unconscious."

"Did you catch her in time?.. I mean... did she fall?"

"No, she didnt, I caught her." I felt somehow strange admitting it, however I could tell him the truth, he wasnt a gossiping old female, he was a Doktor and he had to know everything, he wouldnt make a fus about it.

"Good." Again he surprised me with that answer, but he surely meant that it was good that she didnt fall on the hard ground, he wasnt thinking of the image of me holding Miss Hale close in an inappropriate matter, as my mother would have seen it.

"It would have been fatal if she fell on her head again. Probably it would have been the couse of another setback." He stated when we finally reached the door. I knocked but turned to Dr Donaldson who was breathing as heavily as me now.

"What do you mean? Setback?" my mind was working hard, but still I couldnt comprehend the meaning of what was just revealed to me. Setback....you could only talk about a setback if you had... Oh no.

"Come in" Richard said when he opened the door for us breaking my train of thoughts. He probably noticed my confused face because he quickly added "Come in John, I will explain."

THANK GOD AT LAST !