14

"H-hey Gon!" Shim called. Gon glanced out the window of the tree house and down at the 2 story drop, where Shim was starting to climb up. The tree was a tall one. According to Shim, her brother had grown it and the treehouse inside. His quirk was plant manipulation and creation, the tree house had literally grown as the tree it was inside did. It was about a fifth of the size of Echo and Silva's hideout, with a table and two chairs along with some other small knicknacks and a few drawers filled with art supplies, card games, and board games. Shim finished the climb up, Gon sat down on the chair he usually sat in as she entered the doorframe. There had been a door, but it apparently broke off its hinges long ago. "Ah! I'm here! Sorry, I couldn't come up super fast with this" She said, before setting down an opaque plastic food container.

Dawn sat on the table with a yawn, curling up and closing her eyes. Shim seemed nervous for some reason, but Gon glanced curiously down at the container. "What's in this?" She stood next to him and fidgeted a little. "J-Just...open it, and t-tell me what you think ok?" She stuttered. Ok? He slid the container over to him, then opened it.

It was a cupcake, and in red icing on the top spelled 'I like you'

It was a cupcake, and in red icing on the top spelled 'I like you'. Gon blinked. Of course she likes me, that's why we're friends right? But, she'd told him to say how he felt about it. "I like you too" She gasped, then did something that took him completely by surprise. She kissed him, and Gon's eyes widened. I- wait- That wasn't what he had meant. Gon pushed her back, and she blinked in confusion. "W-Wait I- That's not- I didn't- not like that-" Her eyes widened as she realized the miscommunication, a slightly heartbroken look crawling across her face. Then, Gon got an image. Killua smiling genuinely, the image burned so bright in his mind. He had tried to hold it in, but before he knew it tears were rolling down his cheeks and he fumbled with the zipper on his bag. "W-Wait are you crying? I'm sorry! I-" Shim tried to apologize, but she cut off as he managed to finish unzipping the bag. He grabbed out Killua's shirts, then buried his face in them as he cried. His fake emotions faded by now, revealing the blank stare underneath.

I miss you. There was only one person that Gon ever wanted to kiss, and that was Killua. B-But he's gone now- Shim put a hand to her mouth, as if putting something together. "I-I'm so sorry, I didn't know! I...Oh god I'm so sorry" She cried, the heartbreak in her eyes turning to regret and shame. Dawn meowed loudly, rubbing her head into his shoulder. "N-No it's ok, I didn't understand what you meant" he mumbled, in his quiet monotone voice. Gradually the image faded, and he wiped his eyes. "I-I'll just...go" Shim said quietly, then turned to leave. Gon took a deep breath, still recovering when he heard a gasp. Gon saw a fast movement out of the corner of his eye and bolted to the door, grabbing Shim's hand as she slipped. She breathed hard for a few moments, when she looked up she blushed a little but shook her head to clear it. "You good?" he asked, putting on his fake smile. She looked down, "Y-Yeah. Just...Your my best friend though still right?"

Gon's lips parted slightly, another vivid image. "Your my best friend in the entire world!" Gon said, hugging Killua's side. "B-Baka! I know that already-", "Mrrow!" Dawn Gon came back to reality, but when he did he noticed something. His hand was empty. Gon's eyes snapped down, then he gasped when he realized what had happened. "SHIM!" While in the midst of his spell, he'd released his grip on Shim's hand. She had fallen the full 2 stories, and was laying on the ground and definitely not unscathed. He didn't stop to think, he leapt down. Gon's fake smile fell, but his face showed real emotion this time. He landed next to her, then started hyperventilating slightly when the smell of blood hit the air. "N-No, I'm sorry. I didn't m-mean to- I-" tears rolled down his cheeks, Shim opened her eyes slightly and looked slightly surprised at the raw emotion on his face. Sadness, fear, and regret. "H-hey...it's ok. It was a...accident" She said faintly. Gon quickly trailed his hands along her body, feeling for the broken bones and other wounds.

"Y-you're going to be ok, I can fix this. P-Please, just hang in there" He said, voice choking a little on his emotions as his hands trembled slightly. His bag wasn't with him, his phone was in his bag, he couldn't call anybody. Why could he never call anybody? Why did these things always happen when his phone wasn't on him? Then, his breath hitched as he felt blood on his fingers. Gon gently lifted her head up, then felt his heart crack a little at the bloody stone that had been underneath it. N-No- "G-Gon I...I can't feel my arms and legs" Shim murmured. No, not again. NOT AGAIN! He thought fast, Shim's house was next door. Gon did the first thing he could think of to get anyone in earshot's attention, he screamed. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he squeezed his eyes shut, suddenly Shim's door banged open. "I heard screaming! What's-" There was a gasp and footsteps, an older male with navy hair and black eyes knelt down beside them. "Shim!" Gon started to hyperventilate, then tried desperately to use what little healing ability he had to try and close the wound.

"I-I'm so sorry, it was my fault. Goddamn it why's it always my fault! I can't lose you too, don't go, please" He sobbed, but he could see it. The light was fading from her eyes, she wouldn't make it through this. "What even happened? Damn it I don't have my phone on me-" The navy haired male said, voice thick with fear. He let her limp body fall as her heart stopped beating, then scrambled back a few meters with his hands to his head as he hyperventilated. This is why I shouldn't have made more friends, I'm s-sorry I'm s-so- Suddenly there was a hand on his shoulder, someone was shaking it. Gon couldn't see though, he couldn't see anything except for the dead bodies flashing behind his eyes and the blood. "N-not again, I failed...again" He said weakly, and then all of a sudden he heard something. "MRRROW!"

He a pressure on his chest, and a muzzle in his face. "I-" His vision cleared, Dawn was meowing frantically and pawing at his chest. Gon buried his face into Dawn's fur, crying softly. "H-hey, kid" He glanced up, and the navy haired male's eyes widened in concern at his emotionless expression. "What...happened?" Gon looked down, then spoke in monotone. "I dropped her, might as well be a murderer now" He said quietly. Because, he was. Gon had just killed someone, it was his fault she died. Again. It was his stupidity that caused this to happen. "Hold on there, that's not-" Gon stood up, then turned away from the male that he could only assume was Shim's older brother. He reached for Gon's shoulder, but Gon just went to the base of the tree and grabbed a shovel that he and Shim had been using for gardening. He completely ignored Shim's brother, who was now silent, as he started digging. Once Gon had made a hole deep enough, he dropped Shim's body in and covered it up.

"Why are you..." Shim's brother murmured, as he dropped the shovel and stepped back from the grave. Dawn meowed and pawed at his leg, but he didn't reach down to pick her up. Instead, he stared blankly at the grave. "This is why I didn't want to make friends, they all end up dying" He said emotionlessly. Shim's brother's eyes widened in horror, and was about to speak when he scooped up Dawn and started walking. It was back, the numbness. Another death, on his hands. But... He paused, then put on his fake smile. It went up just as easily as always, and he began walking back to the apartment. "If anyone asks, say your fine."," Rational deception is going to be an important part of your life" Aizawa's voice echoed in his head. So, he went back to the apartment like nothing happened. When Aizawa asked why he was back so soon, he told him that Echo and Silva were out. Aizawa wasn't aware that he'd had any extra contact with Shim, and he didn't ask. I'll just stick with two from now on.

1498 words

To be continued...