Chapter 12: The Perks of Being a Werewolf

(*A/n: Siblings Uriah Brady and Kayle Brandon on top. Weres ;) Don't forget to hit the vote button if you liked it!)

Chapter 12: The Perks of Being a Werewolf

Breathe. In. Out. No one's going to choke you to death and splash their blood on your face... But every teacher Percy passed by seemed to give her goosebumps and prickles on her arms as she walked through the busy hallway. Paranoia was finally getting into her nerve system after hearing that other beings could mix in well with the crowds. Percy kept on looking around to see which one was looking back at her like she was a delicious tidbit, but everything seemed to be normal for today.

A while ago, maybe around 4 AM, Joseph had deposited her by her backdoor, giving her last instructions to take care on whom she'd speak to. And that she couldn't just share whatever she learned today to anyone. She promised to do so, and then when she locked the whole house down did Joseph leave her. She wasn't even supposed to be in school today, but hell, she didn't want to miss any lessons that could sky-rocket her to a finishing degree.

"Percy?"

The voice suddenly jolted her out of her paranoia and Ezekiel's face swam into view. Percy let out a long, relieved sigh. "Hey."

"Don't you just 'Hey' me. Where the hell have you been?!" There was a tone of anger in Ezekiel's voice as he gripped her arm and dragged her to a corner.

Percy felt a little bit panicked and his grip hurt. "I.. I went out...Ow..." She couldn't tell him about what really happened. She just couldn't. "Let me go, Zee, you're hurting me..."

"Went out?! The only places 'Out' would be is the library, the diner by the port and Dawney's. Where. The. Hell. Have. You. Been?!" Ezekiel was almost shouting, his voice getting considerably loud making other students' heads to look and stare.

"Zee, tone it down... I'm fine, aren't I? I've just been visiting a few friends," Percy explained slowly.

Ezekiel finally let go of her arm, but kept his steely glance on her. "We both know that you don't have much friends, Perce." He heaved out a long, annoyed sigh. "Can't you at least tell me where you've been? I was worried."

Percy's chest clenched. "Sorry... Well, I got myself lost in the woods and then didn't know where to get back on the track. I had to wait for sunrise to finally realize that I've trekked farther than usual." She didn't really like telling lies, but it was closer to the truth anyway.

Ezekiel's face softened and even managed a shaky chuckle. "Very unusual of you to get yourself lost in the woods, Perce."

Percy shrugged. "I wasn't thinking much at that time, I guess."

"Maybe take me with you then?" He even joked, and then rubbed her arm. "I was really worried, Perce. Including that family that just moved in. Y'know, the Hernes family?"

Percy bit her lip. "What's up with them?" She asked.

"I don't know yet, but I've heard the teachers talking. They're moving in this school too," he said.

Percy wanted to scream but then the bell did a fine job of doing that instead. Ezekiel cast the bell a calm, almost relaxed look. "I'll bring you to class," he said with a small smile.

*

Joseph looked up the school and to Uriah, her eyes glinting. "Are you sure this is her school?" He asked his daughter.

Uriah nodded. "Too much smells corroding in, but yeah. It's faint, but she definitely goes here."

"Alright. I want you and Kayle sport around the back. See if any thing's out of order. Your mother and I--"

"Are going to get inside and see how Percy's doing. I know, dad. We'll be fine."

Joseph sometimes forgot how big his little girl had grown, always taking up after her mother: adventurous, hot-headed, eager for adventure. "You take care of your brother, yes?"

Uriah flicked her thick dark brunette hair to her back. "Yeah, dad. See you later." With that she walked to the quadrangle and then disappeared in the crowd.

Joseph then turned to Annnaliese, who was watching where their daughter disappeared. She had hair a lighter shade of brunette which now hung loose around her shoulders. She was wearing a light summer dress, and looked like she had just run out of the beach in a hurry. Joseph couldn't really forget how they met, two Weres who bumped into each other by the bay. Now going to the beach was a daily ritual for them both. He loved her, after all.

"Will we look after her from now on?" She asked him.

Joseph nodded. "Her mother did the same for us when we were hunted. It's the only thing we could do in exchange."

"I hope she's not the type of girl to scream after boys. Think of poor Kayle's ears!" Annaliese joked.

He smiled. "Don't worry. She's the complete difference."

*

Uriah hang at the back of the cafeteria, aware of the eyes and smells around her while her brother, Kayle, was scribbling away in his little black book. She looked at her little brother fondly, and he looked up, grinning mildly. "Hey, sport, anything new today?" Have you seen her yet?

Mental messages over the usual everyday-human talk was something Uriah enjoyed. It's kind of like a Were thing, where you get to communicate out loud, much like radio signals.

"The usual. But the teachers are pretty nice." Nope. Just the same big-headed but large-chested girls. What's she like? He responded as he placed his pencil down to reach his coke.

"How about the food?" I don't know yet. All I got is her scent. Daddy didn't really say what she looked like either.

"It's good. And, hey, is Dad going to pick us up later on?" Where are we supposed to bring her?

"He said so, up front the school of course. Mom will be waiting for us too," she said verbally this time. Uriah looked around casually, and then BAM it hit her, making her stand up too quickly, rattling the contents of the table.

"Brady, what--?!" Kayle stuttered and watched in disbelief as his sister approached a girl who just entered the cafeteria.

*

Percy's arm was hurting from carrying the two large books about psychology, but she wasn't complaining at all. She liked writing reports and the topic itself was fascinating. She shufted the weight on her arm again and then opened the door to the cafeteria. Zee had baseball practice ongoing until 2 o'clock, and had to have his lunch earlier. Percy understood anyway. She liked baseball herself.

Busy and bustling as usual, she thought as she walked in, her eyes scanning out an empty table. Too preoccupied she was when she suddenly bumped into someone, making her release her grip on the books. "S-Sorry..."

"Hey. Let me get those for you."

Both the girl and Percy had bent down to retrieve the books, and then the girl casually made a grab towards her wrist.

Percy suddenly felt a jolt, and a waterfall of colors and piney scents entered her nostrils. She imagined the rushing of a river, dirt being tossed up. Wolf. "Joseph," the girl whispered and then let go of her wrist.

Percy took back her books, but looked at the girl with a scared look in her eyes. Who is this girl? How does she know Joseph?

"I'm Uriah Brady, hi," the girl said, extending her hand.

"Percy Hale," she accepted the hand and got the impression of the after-taste of an adrenaline rush. The girl practically screamed Wolf to her. "How do you know about Joseph?" She whispered.

Uriah's eyes lit up. "Follow me. I'm his daughter," she answered softly.

All instinct of hers told her to trust her, just like Adonia did when she told her to trust Joseph. And there was the father's eye in his daughter's. It was obvious that she was his child. She nodded. "I could say so," Percy said kindly. "I'll come with you."

"Great. Let me just call my brother."