Fever in Alaska - Reader/Avengers

Set: after Captain America the Winter Soldier
For: WolfWilder365

Seeing as fever in Germany is everyone's favourite, here's the unrelated fever in Alaska :)

———

It was supposed to be a covert mission. It was supposed to be quiet, quick and successful.

And it was. Mostly.

But (Y/N) wasn't feeling well and she didn't want to be there but she was needed there so she didn't say anything. Not when the Quinjet hit turbulence and her stomach rolled, not when she was jogging into the building with Tony and she thought her legs would give out and not when Steve accidentally triggered the building to explode earlier than he had meant to.

The discovery of some extremely top-secret experiments and the location of this base being so far from anything was what led to the idea of exploding it but, for reasons (Y/N) didn't understand, it also meant they had to hunker down for a few days in the nearby cottage they were hiding the jet behind.

Honestly, (Y/N) was just trying to extract all the data. What happened next was the least of her concerns and she knew she'd simply follow her team wherever they led her. She had bigger problems at the moment, like whether her nausea was just nausea or she was going to throw up and why this building was so damn cold.

And then Steve, panicked and embarrassed had alerted everyone through the comms that he'd accidentally started the timer on the bombs. (Y/N) and Tony looked at each other, pulled out their USB's and booked it for the exit. Soon, Tony's suit was fully formed around him and he lifted off, zooming past (Y/N) with both gold and red arms out to grab her as he flew past.

Usually, a high-speed flight would have been exhilarating, but (Y/N) just felt like vomiting. They got outside seconds before the explosion went off and the impact of it sent Iron Man and (Y/N) tumbling, the former unable to keep hold of the latter. (Y/N) rolled across the ground, finally stopping some 10m away from where she'd hit the ground.

She groaned, got onto her knees on the soft, muddy ground and vomited.

Tony gave a surprised laugh, "sorry, (Y/N/N), didn't realise I was that bad of a flyer." But (Y/N) didn't stop vomiting for a while longer and Tony quietened and looked furtively around to protect the incapacitated Avenger.

Finally, (Y/N) stopped. She was shivering all over and her exhaustion felt bone-deep. She would have simply flopped backwards to lie on her back but the ground was so, so cold and she didn't know if she'd be able to pick herself up again. Instead, (Y/N) shoved herself to her feet, using the momentum to get her up, and staggered away from the fetid puddle she had created.

Clint and Natasha were just in the distance, last Tony had checked, and now (Y/N) was flopping into the archer's arms. She was pale and shaking and there were dark smudges under her eyes. Tony couldn't understand why they hadn't noticed it sooner.

Natasha shared a look with Tony and (Y/N), conscious of all the people watching her, said "we should go. Steve's waiting for us."

Steve was to meet them at the house, seeing as he had been so far away when they had left the Hydra base. Clint nodded and gave a dazed response. How was their youngest Avenger so calm right now?

(Y/N) stared at the ground and plodded quietly next to Tony. She responded to anything anyone said with half-hearted, one word answers at best and ignored them at worst, denying and questions pertaining to her being sick. Why, she wasn't sure, but it just didn't seem right to be sick right now.