62

Nicolette's POV:

Malia and I walked over and she asked, "Want me to torture him?"

Stiles frowned at her. "We've talked about this. What have I said?"

"To not do it? Do you want me to torture him?"

Stiles shook his head. "No, I don't want you to torture him. Nica, no torturing."

I scoffed. "Why would I when I could scare him? The ocean can be quite terrifying."

"No scaring him either."

Malia crossed her arms, looking between us. "I'm pretty sure I can take him. Nica can as well."

I sighed. "We need proof that Theo isn't who he claims to be. For now, I'm going to sit back and watch, but the second something happens-"

Stiles shot me a look. "Nicolette, no stabbing or drowning. You are right, though. We should wait to see why he's here.  Have a plan, all right? There are steps to doing this right."

"What steps?" Malia wondered.

"We get the story. Verify the facts. Find the piece that doesn't fit and... and catch him in the act."

A van pulled up in front of the school and Theo stepped out and waved goodbye to whoever dropped him off. He turned to face the school and saw them, giving a smile and wave. Stiles glared at him while I stared suspiciously as Malia asked, "Why are you so suspicious of this guy?"

Stiles glanced to her. "Because I remember Theo from fourth grade. Okay? That's not Theo."

I glanced at him. "Wait."

He nodded. "Fine."

We made our way to class and I honestly barely remembered what we learned. There were too many things on my mind to properly focus.

As soon as the bell rang, Stiles grabbed my wrist. "Let's go."

"I have a free period," I told him.

"You can study later. Come on."

"I've got free period," Scott said.

Stiles rolled his eyes. "So do I. And so does Theo Raeken. Let's go."

We looked around for Theo and noticed him sitting underneath a tree listening to music. Stiles walked up to him. Stiles got Theo to follow us into the locker room and as soon as he was sure it was clear, he began interrogating Theo.

Theo leaned against the lockers as he said, "I was skating in an empty neighbor's pool, trying to do a hand-plant. Nobody was home. I'm not that good of a skateboarder, but I guess I was feeling pretty determined, because I completely lost track of time. I didn't realize that it was night until the yard lights came on. Like I said, I wasn't very good. On my last try, I went down hard. Really hard. I was sitting there at the bottom of the pool and then I realized something. I never heard the board come back down. It came at me fast. I barely had the chance to turn around before it bit me. Right here." He lifted his shirt up and pointed to the right side of his waist.

Scott was silent for a moment. "It wasn't an accident. He wanted to turn you."

Stiles crossed his arms. "Right. So why aren't you a part of his pack then?"

Theo sighed. "Because by the time of my first full moon, he was dead."

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "How do you know?"

"I met another one of his pack a couple weeks later. He told me the alpha that bit me was killed by two of his own betas. They were twins."

I crossed my arms. "Twins, huh? Did they form into a giant wolf?"