21

Nicolette's POV:

We made our way to the subway station. Derek managed to get the poison out of Scott.

Scott began arguing with Derek and he let out an annoyed sigh. "I'm saying we need a new plan, because next time, one of us is going to be too hurt to heal."

"Ugh, I get it," Scott said. "We can't save Jackson."

I frowned. "But we can't kill him, either."

Derek nodded in agreement. "I've seen a lot of things, Scott. I've never seen anything like this. Every new moon's just gonna make him stronger."

"But how do we stop him?" Scott asked.

"I don't know. I don't even know if we can."

"Should we even save him?" I wondered. "After all, he's a useless tool."

Scott groaned. "Can you stop calling him that? Maybe we should just let the Argents handle it."

"I'm the one who turned him. It's my fault," Derek admitted.

I glanced at Derek and said, "You couldn't have known. You can't blame yourself."

Scott nodded. "Yeah, but you didn't turn him into this. I mean, this happened because of something in his past, right?"

"That's a legend in a book. It's not that simple," Derek replied.

Scott frowned. "What do you mean? What are you not telling me?"

"Why do you think I'm always keeping something from you?"

"Because you're always keeping something from me."

"Well, maybe I do it to protect you."

"Doesn't being part of your pack mean no more secrets?"

"Secrets can protect those we care about," I stated softly.

"How do you use it? Who's side are you on, Nicolette?"

I glared at him. "I want the kanima gone. I want to protect your mom who graciously took me in! I want to protect my friends! I want this hell to be over! But, wait. I'm a demigod, and it will never be over!"

"Go home, Scott," Derek told him. "Sleep. Heal. Make sure your friends are safe. I'll keep an eye out for Nicolette. 'Cause the full moon's coming. And with the way things are going, I've got a feeling it's gonna be a rough one."

Scott left and Derek turned to me. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine. Sorry about exploding like that."

"Nicolette, you never have to apologize for your feelings. But can you maybe tone down the anger a little? I can almost see the steam coming from your ears."

I laughed softly. "Vivid sight."

Isaac and Boyd appeared.

"What is that?" Isaac asked.

"It's a triskele," Boyd replied. "Spirals mean different things -- past, present, future. Mother, father, child."

"You know what it means to me?" Derek asked.

"Alpha, Beta, Omega?" Boyd guessed.

Derek nodded. "That's right. It's a spiral. Reminds us that we can all rise to one or fall to another. Betas can become Alphas, but Alphas can also fall to Betas or even Omegas."

"Like Scott?" Isaac questioned.

"Scott's with us," I replied.

"Really?" Isaac scoffed. "Then where is he now?"

"He's looking for Jackson," Derek said. "Don't worry, he's not gonna have it easy tonight either. None of us will. There's a price you pay for this kind of power. You get the ability to heal, but tonight you're gonna want to kill anything you can find."

Erica smirked. "Good thing I had my period last week, then."

Derek held up a spiked headband. "Well, this one's for you."

Erica looked at me. "How come she doesn't have to be locked up?"

I shouldered my sword and smirked. "Simple. I'm not a werewolf."

Erica frowned. "You know, you're a real bitch."

Instantly, my sword was level with her throat. "Call me a bitch one more time. I dare you."

"Bi-"

Derek pulled me back and shook his head. He turned to Erica and glared.

Boyd asked, "What if we break free?"

Derek shrugged. "Then you'll do anything you can to get out of here. Probably try to kill me, Nicolette, then kill each other, and kill anything else with a heartbeat. I need you to hold her."

Derek began strapping the spiked headband around Erica's head and Isaac frowned. "So how come she gets to wear the headband?"

"Because she'll be able to withstand more pain than the two of you. I've got an extra one if you really want it."

"I'll pass."

He looked back at Erica. "You ready?"

She nodded. "Yeah."

"How do you not feel this?" Isaac wondered.

"I feel every second of it."

"Then how do you control it?" Isaac asked.

"Find an anchor. Something meaningful to you. Bind yourself to it. Keep the human side in control."

"What's it for you?"

"It used to be anger, but now it's something different." I felt eyes on me, but as soon as I looked, they were gone. Derek's being weird. Okay. "But it doesn't have to be that for everybody."

"You mean Scott?" Isaac questioned.

Derek nodded. "Yeah. All right, that should do it."

He finished locking them up and waited for them to shift. I held my sword closer to me, ready to attack if I had to. Soon, they began shifting and pulling against their cuffs.

Derek was getting worried, and so was I.

He dialed Scott's number and got his voicemail. "Scott, can you call me back? Nicolette and I are probably gonna need some help. Definitely gonna need some help."

"Isaac!" Derek and I yelled as he broke free.

Derek restrained Isaac and he eventually calmed down. "Think you'll be okay now. Looks like you found an anchor."

Isaac nodded. "My father."

Derek frowned. "Your father locked you in a freezer in the basement to punish you."

"He didn't use to."

"I'm sorry, Isaac," I said sympathetically.

My phone began ringing and my eyes slowly widened at what I heard. When I ended the conversation, I said, "I have to go. I'm needed at the station. See you. I'm sorry. Please no maiming or killing."

"Do you need a ride?" Derek asked.

I shook my head. "Stiles is waiting for me in the Jeep."