Chapter 1: Hell, I salute you

1976, September 1st.

The first day of Hell came once again. I was awake long before Mother called my name. It had now been a year since my traitor brother left home. Mother never mentions him by name. But I am not as afraid as she is. Sirius Black is my brother and I despise him.

The room was dark just like the home he lived in. It really represented who he was. The drapes were closed, there was a wooden dark closet with an ancient and priceless frame. No mirrors. He had a stack of books that seemed to be worn out. He had read all of them. His first broom was hanging above the head frame of his bed, a piano stood close to the window but no single picture to be witnessed, just some posters of the Dark Lord. Something Regulus saluted before spending a year at a place he liked to call 'Hell'. He went downstairs after he had taken a long shower. No humming, nothing. His home was cold, strict and for others it would be the same as Azkaban.  His mother was alone. His father was almost never home and when he was you'd wish he had just stayed where he was before. His mother, Walburga got up from where she was sitting and went to her son. Her ice cold stare said plenty. She fixated on his tie, even though he was perfectly capable to straighten it himself. It was an excuse to tell the boy what to do. 

When my mother fixed my tie, I knew it was an excuse. She always needed something to do prior to telling me where my duties lie. She is afraid I will follow the wrong footsteps. Sirius'. Repeatedly I told her whom I am loyal to. To her. To my family. To the Dark Lord. But still she would help me remember. I never needed a reminder. I am Regulus Arcturus Black. Son of Orion and the true follower of the Dark Lord. I would never be like my brother. A coward.

"What do you want, mother?" Regulus asked in a demanding tone. Walburga grabbed his face and made him look at her. "Don't talk to me like that, boy! Remember who birthed you. I brought you into this life, I can easily take you out as well." She let go off him and he nodded. "Now, today is your first day back at Hogwarts and it's time for some rules. It's time you show where your loyalties lie and perhaps I can arrange a meeting with the Dark Lord. He's very fond of you, my dear." Regulus his expression shifted. He felt sudden joy. A little smile began to form on his face. "The Dark Lord? You've spoken about me to him?" He asked nervously. Walburga nodded and placed her hands on her son's chest. "Indeed. Now, the rules. You will see your brother again this year. You must swear to me to not speak, look or even think of him. If he dares to approach you, turn the other cheek. He's dead to us.  We must keep our name in honor. We raised questions a long time ago when your brother was sorter into Gryffindor and now all his friends are mudbloods. Do not become him. You are the only heir of our home that can bring our name to greatness once more." Regulus understood what needed to be done. He would do everything to meet his hero. " I know, mother. I will do whatever it takes." She smiled and pulled him into her arms, whispering something into his right ear. "And remember mudbloods aren't our friends, they are lesser people, they are unnatural and evil." She said this to him every year, as if she was afraid for him to betray her. It was ludicrous. He let go off her and kissed her cheek before taking his wand to collect everything that was needed in his trunk.

We were at the train station. Mother's mind seemed to be occupied. I knew she must of seen Sirius.  Her face was way bleaker than usual. When she left I could see him trying to catch my eye. But I wouldn't give him the time of day. I grabbed my trunk and walked inside the train,  finding a spot for only me. I didn't care for friends. Why would I? I am superior to all of them. My intelligence is something they could only dream of. I am very fond of the Dark Arts. I've read all kinds of books on it. Some days prior I got a new edition of this year's Defence Against the Dark Arts book. But when I've barely read a line, someone was before me. He looked familiar but I just wanted him to leave me be. But that didn't seem to happen. New faces never want to stay new after all.