Chapter 18

A/N: I know, it's Thursday. My excuses for not posting yesterday are as follows:

I work overnights, so I tend to get confused on what day it is (true story).

I have a sinus cold that's made me cranky.

My flash drive fell out of my purse, and I almost had a heart attack when I couldn't find it. (It has since been found)

I got locked out of my computer at the beginning of my shift and had to call IT at ll:30pm. They weren't thrilled with me.

Last, but not least, this chapter gave me trouble. It didn't want to cooperate with me.

BPOV

A quick glance at the clock on the wall showed that I had less than an hour to go. I was a bit pissed that I'd gotten called in to work, but Mrs. Stanley had really needed someone to cover for Arlene. From what I'd gathered, Arlene had caught her husband cheating and was too upset to come into work. That was understandable, I guess. I mean, if I caught Edward cheating on me, Dad would probably have to put me in jail because I would've kicked Edward's ass and then some.

"Order up!" Embry hollered.

Grabbing the food, I carried the plates toward the table in the corner where a couple of young teen girls were hanging out. After handing them their food and refilling their drinks, I had a chance to relax.

By nine, I was more than ready to leave. It wasn't that work had been hard or that the customers had been difficult, but I was ready to head home and to talk to Edward.

"Ready, Embry?" I hollered into the kitchen.

"I'll be ready in a minute, if you wanna wait for me," he hollered back.

My car was parked right outside the back door, so I shouted a goodbye to Embry and headed out the back door.

I noticed that the street lamp that was in the parking lot was out, but I continued on to my truck. As I unlocked it, I waved goodbye to Embry and watched as he climbed into his car. It was comical to see this huge guy climb into a Volkswagen Bug.

He tooted his horn as he drove off, and I waved once more before opening the door to my truck.

I was about to climb in when the door was suddenly slammed shut, causing me to drop my keys as I whirled around.

"Well, well. What do we have here?" a voice said from beside me.

Nausea welled up in my stomach as I slowly looked up into the face of James Trakker.

"Go away, James!" I snarled, hating that my voice quivered as I spoke.

"Or what?" he asked, leaning closer. "Gonna call your daddy? I don't think so," he said, brandishing a knife.

"Give me your phone and your keys. Now!" he yelled when I didn't comply right away.

With shaking hands, I dug my phone out of my pocket and handed it to him before reaching down to get my keys. The second they were in my hands, he snatched them up and flung them into the dark. I watched as he sent a text on my phone and then tossed it onto the ground.