Chapter 15

A/N: Thanks for all the awesome reviews.  Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year.  I spent mine working.  

....

EPOV

I looked around the room that my mother had deemed as mine as I set my suitcase on the bed. It was painted a bright, in-your-face orange. I'd only been in the room a few seconds, and I was already getting a headache.

The walls had pictures of surfers and beaches as well as a surfboard propped up in the corner. My mother was not an interior designer by any means and had gone overboard with the whole surfer theme.

Crossing over to the dresser, I pulled open some drawers and began putting my stuff away. I've never been one of those people who could live out of a suitcase. I always have to unpack my clothes.

Once I was done with that, I headed down the stairs and found my mom in the kitchen. She was busy making something in the blender that required lots of alcohol. I was guessing margaritas.

"Oh, Eddie, I'm so glad to have you here!" she said, giving me a hug. "Why don't you go out on the deck. Eleazar's out there preparing the grill. I figured we'd grill out some shrimp for an early dinner. Does that sound good?"

"Sure, Mom," I told her as I made my way out the sliding glass doors.

The backyard was large, but the huge pool took up most of it. There were some palm trees, a grill, some chairs and lounges. It was nice, I guess.

I stood there not having a clue as to what to say to Eleazar. I tried making small talk but quickly gave up when he didn't respond to anything I said.

"So … uh," I began, only to be interrupted by him.

"Look kid, I know Carmen wants us to make nice and all, but I don't really care. I don't do the whole kid thing."

Probably because he was still a kid himself, I thought.

A few minutes later, I excused myself and went inside and up to my room. I grabbed my phone that I'd put on the charger and scrolled through it. I had a few texts from Bella which I was eager to respond to.

I was sitting on the side of the bed responding to Bella when Mom came in.

"I thought you were outside with Eleazar."

"I was, but we don't have a lot to talk about. Besides, I needed to see if my phone was charged."

She crossed her arms over her chest before speaking. "I won't let you hide up here your whole vacation and text that girlfriend of yours. It won't kill you not to talk to her for a few hours. Now put the phone away and join us outside."

I wanted to say something nasty to her, but I didn't. Sighing, I sent Bella a quick text letting her know that I'd talk to her tonight, and I put my phone down on the nightstand.