Chapter thirteen

The sound of beeping echoes around JJ's ears, the bitter smell of bleach hitting his nostrils. Slowly, JJ blinks his eyes open, adjusting to the light. His ankle was in a large cast, and he could slightly feel fresh stitches on the back of his head. Flickering around, JJ finds a half asleep John B sitting beside his bed, hand overtop of JJ's own. "John B?" Croaks JJ, coughing slightly, head heavy.

John B is up from his seat in a flash, kissing JJ's forehead and holding his hand tight, his other hand combing JJ's hair from his face. "Hey, bud." Whispers John B, smiling tearilly down at JJ. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore," JJ replies, clearing his throat. "And thirsty."

"Here." Picking up a plastic cup from the small movable table, John B holds it to JJ's lips, letting hi, have a few gulps before putting it back. "You scared me, JJ."

Bowing his head, tears welling in his eyes, JJ bites his lower lip. "I'm sorry." He whispers, sniffling quietly, lower lip wobbling. "I'm sorry."

Pursing his lips, John B carefully tucks JJ against his body, arms wrapping around his shaking frame. JJ melts into it easily, sobbing and hiccuping, trying to catch his breath, chest tight and burning. It takes a while, but JJ is able to calm down, pulling away and rubbing at his throat where Luke's hands had wrapped themselves around.

John B seems to sense the tension, the discomfort, and takes JJ's hand into his own, holding it against his chest over the soft beating of his heart. "The others are waiting at home," voices John B, thumbing over JJ's knuckles. "I told them you wouldn't feel comfortable having all of us around."

Smiling weakly, tearily, JJ nods. "Thanks." whispers JJ, biting his lower lip. "How.. How's Pope?"

"Pope's okay." Running a hand through his hair, John B leans his elbow against JJ's bed. "He was a bit shaken after your confession and was mainly quiet until you called."

JJ's heart sinks. "He hates me, doesn't he?"

John B shakes his head, reaching out and cupping JJ's cheek. "He doesn't hate you, JJ. He cares about you so much, your confession doesn't change how much he loves you, romantic or platonic, whatever it is that he feels."

Sighing, JJ nods sadly. John B was right. Of course he was. Pope could never hate JJ, no matter what idiotic thing that he did, Pope would always love him, romantic or platonic. JJ just had to learn to love Pope in a way that would not cause harm to their friendship.

"Kie and Sarah are here, they're in the waiting room." John B says, cutting through JJ's thoughts. "Cleo's back at mine with Pope."

JJ tries to ignore the amount of pain, yet relief that sentence causes and nods. "Go get them." Replies JJ, pulling on a smile. "I'll be okay by myself."

Smiling gently, John B presses a kiss to the crown of JJ's head and disappears out the door just in time to miss the new tears that pour down JJ's cheeks. Everything hurt, so fucking painful, so immobalising, JJ feared just how bad the injuries were. They could take months to heal, which means no school, physical therapy and bills sent directly to Luke. JJ could not let Luke find out that he was in the hospital. He would kill him.

A knock sounds at the door, and JJ quickly wipes away the tears with a wince, calling out for the people to come in. A tearful Kiara and Sarah appear in the doorway, relief washing over their faces upon seeing their friend wide awake and smiling at them. "You scared us, JJ." Kiara mutters, hugging him tight, yet careful. "I'll kill that son of a bitch."

Chuckling painfully, JJ nuzzles his face into the crook of the girl's neck.

"How are you feeling?" Asks Sarah, wrapping JJ up in her arms, so soft, so gentle, JJ almost bursts into tears.