Chapter sixteen

With every passing day, using crutches got easier and easier. Some days were still a struggle, muscles aching intensely and arms unable to hold his weight any longer. But most days, JJ could manage. While Pope was at school, JJ helped as best he could at Heyward's shop and around the house to pull his weight and show just how appreciative he was for their kindness.

Most people would have just pushed JJ aside and would have told him to suck it up and get over it. But Pope's parents took JJ in without a second thought, gave him the love JJ had been starved from for so long.

He and Heyward were getting along much better now that they were spending most days together. Whether it was bagging up items for people over the island, cleaning seafood or taking orders, they were talking and sharing experiences just like a father and a son should. Except, Heyward wasn't JJ's father. Luke was. And even before the drugs and the alcohol, Luke was absent. Brushed JJ off and taught him nothing about the world other than he should fear every person that he meets and not let them in.

Big John was like JJ's dad growing up. He taught him and John B to fish, to ride a bike, to drive a boat and how to drive. Now, Heyward was sharing pieces of advice from his own life for JJ to keep hidden in his mind just in case, and was sharing memories of when Pope was a little kid. And Pope's mum, she took every opportunity she could to show JJ baby pictures of Pope, to show JJ how to bake and anything else he asked for her to show him how to do. The Heywards were becoming his parents, and JJ found he liked that. He liked that a lot.

Friday's always seemed to be the busiest for Heyward. Constant calls from all over the island requesting groceries and items only Heyward could get for them, people going in and out of the store. It was overwhelming, the amount of people Heyward seemed to help. Luckily, Friday's also meant Pope coming home earlier than usual, which meant more kisses and hugs for JJ to have.

The day goes by fast, and it's a shock when JJ hears the squeaking of the Twinkies brakes from his place on the docks, overlooking the calm water. He looks over his shoulder, a grin breaking out on his lips at the sight of his boyfriend running at full speed towards him throwing his bag down and lifting JJ far too easily into his arms. JJ laughs, holding on tight, and kisses Pope's lips happily, sending John B a quick wave as the horn honks before refocusing back on Pope and his large smile.

"How was school?" JJ asks, allowing Pope to carry him over to the table and chairs outside of Pope's home.

"Far too long." Replies Pope, planting kiss after kiss over JJ's face.

Laughing, JJ squirms in his boyfriend's arms. "How was everyone? I'm surprised they didn't come out."

Grabbing JJ by the waist, Pope pulls him into his lap, legs on either side of his waist. "They were good, they miss seeing you." Says Pope, smiling under JJ's blushing gaze. "Kiara and Sarah are helping the others get their homework done before the weekend."

JJ gives a chuckle, leaning forward and kissing Pope's nose. This was still so surreal to him, sitting in Pope's lap, being held so lovingly. "I miss them too, hopefully I can come back to school soon."

"Not until you're all healed."

JJ rolls his eyes.

"Have you eaten since lunch?" Pope asks.

Nodding, JJ smiles. "Yes, but I could go for a drink."

Pope smiles. "I'll be right back."

Gently lifting JJ from off his lap, Pope disappears inside the home, the door closing behind him. JJ smiles shyly to himself, leaning his head on his arms, fluttering his eyes closed. Ever since he arrived here from the hospital, Pope had been pampering JJ nonstop. Making him food, helping with his crutches, rubbing his shoulders and massaging his head. JJ couldn't get enough of it, no matter how many times he told himself he didn't need it.