Trust Me

Emily

As JJ and I drive to the crime scene pandemonium breaks out. Multiple gun shots ring out as JJ swerves the car the car to avoid fleeing civilians. I unholster my gun and scan the crowd to find the source of the panic. 

"ON YOUR LEFT" JJ screams as we both jump out of the car and sprint towards the woman firing her gun into the crowd. 

"FBI PUT YOUR GUN DOWN" but JJ's words fall on deaf ears as the girl smirks and points her gun towards us. A light laugh escapes her lips but does not have a chance to come to fruition as JJ's bullet lodges itself into the woman's skull. 

Instinctively, we both scan the crowd for more assailants. To our terror we find a young girl shaking as she grips a gun for dear life. She can not be more than 15 years old and I run towards her hoping that the next bullet that flies will not be entering her body. 

"FBI , DROP THE GUN". Come on , I implore mentally as if I could speak to her telekinetically. After a few moments she lowers it to the ground. She's lost her nerve, this one we can save. I holster my gun.

"Emily" JJ warns. 

I signal with my hand that it's okay as I walk towards the girl. 

"Hey, my name is Emily and I'm with the FBI.  We don't want to hurt you just as much as you don't want to hurt us or you would have fired by now" SWAT arrives on scene , startling the girl who jumps slights, darting her head from left to right but too scared to turn and look at me. I notice JJ moving closer to me. "Can you turn around slowly for me please, I promise we are not going to hurt you". Tentatively turning her head she looks at me and JJ and noticing I do not have my gun out she turns and faces me. 

"Thankyou, what's your name sweetie?" 

"Makenna". Tear tracks stain her dark brown and I am surprised she can see straight for her eyes seem to be holding back the world's oceans. 

"I need you to put the gun down and step away and put your hands in the air for me please". 

She vigorously shakes her head " I can't". 

"Yes you can , I promise we won't hurt you" 

"But they will. They're saying it in my ear now that I have to finish the mission" 

Only now do I notice the ear piece that was being obscured by her afro. Of course, terrorists using young children to carry out their dirty work while they sit behind the scenes calling the shots. Just how old was the 'women that JJ shot? Maybe she was just a girl too?  I hope not, but we had no choice, but we can still turn the tides with Makenna.

"Whoever told you to come down here today and kill innocent people, is not on your side Makenna. Where are they now? Sitting comfortably in their homes while you do their bidding for them? People who send little girls into dangerous situations are cowards and they do not deserve your loyalty. What are you ? 14? 15? You should be out playing with your friends, riding a bike, fawning over boys. Not preparing to become a murderer. But if you put that gun down I promise you that we will find whoever is really responsible for what happened today and they will never be able to control you again. But first , I need you to trust me". 

Three lifetimes pass in three seconds before Makenna drops the gun. I close my eyes and breathe a sigh of relief before going to grab the gun to pass back to JJ as I engulf the young girl in my arms. Surprisingly she clings back on to me . Holding her shoulders I bend down to her level. 

"I am going to have to handcuff you " I explain as she quivers " these are to keep you safe and as soon as we are back at the station I promise you that I will take them off okay?" I look into her eyes willing for her to believe me. 

"Okay" she nods. 

I gently put the cuffs on her and read her her Miranda rights. Taking in the scene around me, there has to be at least 9 trained guns being lowered, no one is left on the streets having been herded away either in fear or by the police. As I guide her to the car , I lock eyes with JJ, fear and concern evident on her face. Usually, she handles situations with children , but I acted on impulse and emotion and she knows it , and her eyes tell me she wants to know why. 

As I put Makenna into the back seat I look back at JJ and mouth "trust me ". 

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Authors note: 

I have nooo idea what I'm doing lool but hope you enjoyed and hope more than 10 people actually read this.