Part 29 - Speed things up

Isaac/ The air feels warm and sticky walking out of New End train-station. Feeling a bit lightheaded I'm not sure if it's because of the weather or because I'll be seeing Charlie again. After a week and a half of zero communication, I try to keep my heart rate at a low beat. It wasn't easy to not see or hear from her especially since my dad's little visit but I knew everything was different from the last time we were apart. She is free from Liam now, happy with her daughter and we will be together again. It is just a matter of time.

I was surprised when she texted me though. Shawn already knew he was going to have to do the wedding gig on his own. I had made my peace with not going to attend the celebration, having to wait. But then just as I was about to leave the hospital from visiting my sister one last time, that one liberating text popped up on my screen.

Charlotte -Come to the wedding-

That was it, she only replied -ok- when I asked if she would pick me up the next day.

I kind of expected her to come to New York and surprise me with some big romantic gesture. Instead I got a text. One that made my heart burst with happiness nonetheless.

One day later I'm crossing the parking lot, anxious to see her, to talk to her, to hug her, to kiss her, to start infinity with her, ...

Heading towards Nick's truck, Noah rushes past me. Shawn told me I could bring my little brother with me so here we are. The kid has been so exited to go to his first wedding he hasn't been able to sit still for five minutes the whole ride down here.

"Ben!" My brother runs towards him in enthusiasm.

"Noah?" Ben looks equally as confused as I probably do. Why is Ben here and when did he meet Noah? I glance over his shoulder as he greets me joyfully with a firm handshake and a pat on the back. No Charlie.

Where is she?

"You two know each other?" I frown, focussing back on my brother and Ben.

"You could say that, yes." Ben laughs, his lip bruised but it doesn't seem to be hurting that much. "Noah told me to buy Dannii a candy ring and ask her to marry me."

"Yep! I did!" Noah looks like he grew an inch or two in the past seconds. Full of pride he looks up at me.

"We sat next to each other on the plane a few months ago. I was a serious mess back then and this little guy here gave me some great advise." He ruffles up Noah's hair with one swift movement.

"And here we all are, what a small world." Noah smiles. Sometimes I forget he is only twelve years old, he always acts so grownup.

"Is ... " I look back at the car hoping I missed her sitting at the back of the truck or something. I didn't.

"Uhm, yeah about that." Ben scratches his neck. "Charlotte..." avoiding eye contact he drops the bomb. "She doesn't know you are coming to the wedding."

"What?" My voice cracks in surprise. "How? She send me a text asking me to come to the wedding." I grab my phone to make sure I didn't imagine getting that message.

"I know. Look I don't agree with any of it, ok." he sighs. "The girls, they've send that text from Charlottes phone." He looks troubled. "I have orders to bring you to the Inn and hide you guys in the barn until tomorrow. Dannii will break the news to her sister tomorrow morning and since it's our wedding Charlotte will have to obey her sisters wishes to let you participate in the wedding."

"But Charlotte doesn't want me here!" The hurt I feel is prominent, my heart feels like it will collapse any minute now.

"No, it's not like that. Charlotte told Dannii she misses you." Ben puts his hand on my shoulder squeezing it tightly. "She told Jackie, by bringing Emma home you made her the happiest woman alive." Now he smiles, his blue eyes shining. "We all love that little girl. Thanks man. Thank you for fighting for her."

I nod.

"I'm not supposed to say this but, Charlotte doesn't have her phone. She asked Jo to bring it to the wedding so she can call you right after. The girls are just helping to speed things up a little, that's all."

She never got my texts, she doesn't know about my dad, Ava or even how much I've missed her.

"Ok!"

"Just give it a try ... wait what?" Ben looks confused. "Ok?"

"Yeah, Ok. I promised Noah he could attend his first wedding, so ..." I faintly smile.

I agree with the plan although I think this is a bad one. I'm already here so might as swell stay and hope for a happy ending. Maybe she won't get mad at me for showing up unannounced, uninvited. Again!

"Ok!" Ben cheers, patting me on the back as he guides Noah and me to the truck.

"So Ben, how did you ask Dannii to marry you?" Noah hops along next to him.

"I didn't actually." he chuckles. "She beat me to it."

"Wow." My brother is already picturing the scene. "I can't wait to meet everyone." His eyes all glistening.

After taking a swim in the lake Noah and I were invited for a nice familie dinner and now we are hiding out up stairs in the room above the barn.

Charlie had to work so we were free to walk around until about eight o'clock. Now it's three hours later and almost everyone went home or they are upstairs in the Inn getting ready for bed. Noah and Shawn are already sleeping but I can't seem to catch any sleep at all. I'm too nervous for how she'll react when she sees me, crashing the party. Turning around in my bed for what seems the fiftieth time I hear my stomach growling.

Great, now I'm hungry too!

I throw back the sheets and put on my sweater and jeans. Through the window I can see that it's pretty dark inside the house. Dannii told me if I needed anything I could use the back door which is always open.

I don't bother putting on my socks as I pull my sneakers over my cold feet. I take one last look at Noah, he won't be waking up anytime soon. He's snoring so loud I'm afraid he'll wake up Shawn.

Outside the grass feels moist, the air still warm, I can hear a few overeager grasshoppers and I don't think I've ever seen so many stars in the sky. Sneaking up to the house I can feel my heart beating in my throat. The cold metal doorknob squeaks a bit when I turn it to open the door. Silently walking down the hall the floor underneath my feet cracks. I hope I don't wake up Charlie. Although passing by the laundry room, the memories of undressing her, fuels the urge to go up stairs and be with her. I shake away the reckless idea and move further down. Passing the living room, I'm suddenly frozen in place, holding my breath.

The dark silhouet sitting in the middle of the unlit living room mirrors my state of shock.

Isaac is so busted sneaking around in the middle of the night. 😳

What will happen next. 😱

Vote, vote, vote. ⭐️