Chapter 10

"Jackson's being really weird," Maeve says grabbing her books from her locker, "weirder than normal."
You lean back against the lockers humming response.
"He now reads Virginia Woolf and conveniently listens to everything I listen too." She sighs, "it's kind of creeping me out."

She closes her locker and the two of you walk side by side in the direction of your classes.

"I heard you two were close." You state, eyes fixated on he ground in front of you.
"I wouldn't say close, we're just..." she trails off, as Jackson appears at her other side, music blaring from his headphones.

"Are you listening to Sløtface?" She yells, in an attempt to get his attention.
He pulls out his right earbud and turns around, "Their new album is incredible."
Pulling her bottom lip between her teeth she smiles, "You like punk?"
"Do you like punk?" Jackson counters with a smirk.
She shrugs, "Among other things."

You stand there, watching the two interact, unable to focus on what either are saying. Jealousy consuming every fibre in your body, occasionally Jackson glances at you, smiling, as if he's saying thank you.

"Actually, y/n and I have plans." Maeve says, snapping you back to reality as you focus your eyes, Jackson turns around, disappoint covering his face. He seems to struggle to speak as Maeve smiles sarcastically, taking your hand and pulling you past him.

"Have fun Jackson!" You call from down the corridor.

***

Standing with your back against a wall, looking at your phone you let out a sigh.

"She's not going to text you." Eric states appearing next to you.
"She said 'we have plans' to Jackson..." You shut your phone off and put it into your jean pocket.
"Sounds like she used you to get out of something," Eric sympathetically pats your shoulder, "what did I tell you? Nice guys will forever come last."

You roll your eyes, and lean your head back, "He's trying so hard."
"But they're still not together, are they?" Otis asks appearing at your other side.

You jump, startled by him bring there, "Fucking hell Otis, you gave me a heart attack."
"No, they're not together," Eric answers, ignoring you, "Which is why you need to do something before they do end up together!"

Otis's phone chimes.

"Looks like we've gotta go," He says nodding to you, "We still run a sex clinic with her."
Begrudgingly, you push yourself of off the wall, trailing behind Otis, "That I'm still not apart of!" Eric calls from behind.
Otis turns around, "Maybe y/n will quit!" He shouts back.

"I can't do maths Otis!"
"He can't do maths!"

Both you and Eric shout simultaneously, causing the three of you to laugh.

***

"Who's that?" Otis asks, as you dismount your bike.
"I've been here just as long as you have dipshit," You push him down the first few steps, causing him to stumble, "I literally have no idea."

The girl turns around, a warm smile plastering her face, "Hi, I'm here to pick up my dad."
You and Otis share a confused look before he opens the front door, "Mum! Someone's here for their dad!" He shouts as he steps inside.

She turns to you, still smiling, "Ola." She says extending her hand.
You look down before shaking it, "Y/n and that was Otis." You say pointing to where he's just walked, through the house and up the stairs.
"Not very talkative I take it?"
"Just socially awkward and very weird."

"I can hear you!" He yells from the top of the stairs.

You flip him off as Jean walks through to the door, "Hello darling."