Chapter 2

You burst into your class and the door crashes against the wall, no one notices your rather dramatic entrance and the teacher is still occupied writing at her desk.

"Miss Sands...?" you say wearily approaching her.
She looks up with a smile, "Hi yes, welcome" she flicks through the stacks of paper piled next to her, "y/n is it?"
You nod and return her warm smile.
"Perfect, lovely to meet you" she stands and shakes your hand, "if you wouldn't mind taking a seat at the back and just follow along until you catch up"

You nod again and walk to the back of the room, taking in the faces of your new classmates. None of them bother to acknowledge you but as you near the back of the room you see the empty seat and next to it a familiar face.

She wasn't paying any attention, she seemed far too interested in her book; and you watched as she read the well worn pages.

Just as you pull out your chair she looks up and meets your gaze, rolling her eyes.

"Surprise" you mutter sarcastically, taking a seat.
"What did you just say, snowflake?" She turns to you, glaring, and sets her book down; not breaking eye contact.

"Right class" Miss Sands sits against the edge of her desk, hands clasped in her lap.

Maeve reopens her book and continues to read, you occasionally follow along out of the corner of your eye until your attention is diverted elsewhere.

"...You will be working in pairs for this project" you look around go see students looking at one another, "with the person you're sitting next too"

The whole class groans in unison, except the seat to your side. As you turn back around you catch a glimpse of her quickly flicking through the pages in a failing attempt at acting 'natural'.

Was she just watching me?

———————————————————————————

The class is nearing to a close and Maeve hasn't spoken since she asked you a question.

"For the-" the bell rings and Maeve stands quickly, leaving you talking to no one but the air around you. You sigh and walk out into a crowd of people, hoping somehow to find Otis and Eric.

"Y/n!" You turn and see Otis waving you over to a wall just outside of the building. Eric already sat down talking.bYou make your way over to them, trying not to bump into anyone else and eventually sit down next to Eric who bombards you with questions.

"How was it? Meet anyone nice? What classes do you have? Who's in them?"
"Eric, slow down" you say mocking Jean's voice as you bring your hands up and down slowly taking a deep breath as you do so. Otis laughs and Eric catches on, joining in.

Eventually you begin answering his questions and he grows more excited with each response. After he gets what he's looking for, he starts filling you in on some of the people at Moordale.

"The group sat over by the steps are 'the untouchables'" he says making dramatic hand gestures causing you to let out a laugh.
"No one else calls them that but you you know" Otis chuckles, throwing a sweet at this head.
Ignoring him Eric continues, he goes on for what feels like forever until he changes topics and talks about the building and where to go, you nod half following along, half guessing what else he's saying.

"And over there are the abandoned toilets, no one really uses them unless it's to smoke or have some time alone" he shrugs and looks away.

———————————————————————————

After lunch Otis takes you to math, making sure you don't get lost.

"It's just us after school, Eric's auditioning for swing band"
You look at him confused but just shrug it off and carry on walking.
He stops before the door, "I'll see you later"
"Bye Otis"
He turns on his heels and walks back the way you came.