Chapter 14

Your POV

You wake up as you hear people talking just metres away from you, you physically can't open your eyes to see who they are. One of the voices stops, but you hear the other one muttering things to themself. Whilst listening, you manage to sit up slightly and try to open your eyes once again, this time with a successful outcome. You can see a man stood, leaning against the wall with his back to you. You recognise him immediately, but before you can say anything, he punches your wall, making you jump slightly.

"Bruce?" Your voice sounds husky and your throat's hurting so much. 

"Y/n?" He replies, he's obviously been crying, why is he in here in the first place, you thought you were dead. "We did it y/n," Bruce sounds so happy you're there, "Me and Tony did it, we brought you back." He runs over to the side of your bed and pulls your limp body into a tight hug, sending a sharp pain through your chest. You groan and he lets go immediately, his expression full of regret.

"I am so sorry y/n, its just, I'm just, you're back."

"It's okay Bruce, thank you so much," He smiles sadly and steps back from the bed.

Now it's your turn to cry, you ignore the obvious fact that he's been drinking heavily, and smile back at him.

"I knew you wouldn't let me down," you say, before realising something and frowning at him, "Where is Tony anyway?" 

"I'll get him now, I'll be right back," You stare at the door after he leaves, the shirt he gave you remains on the back of it, untouched. You realise you're still wearing Bruce's clothes and grin to yourself, he's never getting them back. A few minutes later, you hear an upset sounding Tony at the door.

"I've told you Bruce, I'm so sorry but she's gone, we can't save her, you're extremely drunk and you're grieving, there's no doubt you're hallucinating."

"Please Tony, just go in and see her, see it for yourself." Bruce is desperate for Tony to believe him, either that or he thinks that he's going mad. 

"Fine, but only because I think you're going mad." You watch as Tony walks in the room and looks directly towards you. You smirk back at him, the look on his face is priceless, it's shock, joy, fear and excitement all in one.

"Hello again Tony."

"Oh my- it's- y/n?" He wraps Bruce in a tight hug before turning back to you, a single tear rolling down his cheek. "Thank God, I thought you weren't coming back," he moves closer and whispers in your ear, "Bruce was not coping well in the few hours you weren't here" You turn and smile sadly at Bruce, his eyes still red from crying. Tony moves back, you feel another pain in your chest, so you look up at the men in front of you for reassurance.

"It hurts to say it, but how do we know this isn't just temporary, what if I die again tomorrow?"

"Well it's funny you say that," Tony grins, he must have been waiting to say this for a while, "Me and Bruce have created a similar copy of my arc reactor, we didn't know if you would wake up so it's not perfect, but we could have it finished by tomorrow,"

"That would honestly be amazing," you turn back to Bruce, "Thank you again, both of you,"

"I almost didn't do it," Bruce's face falls, "I almost gave up and left you dead, what sort of monster would do that."

"Bruce." You say sternly, reaching out and holding his hands, "You almost gave up, but you didn't did you, I'm okay now. And as for the monster thing, you are the furthest thing from a monster, you're sweet, kind, gentle and smart, you're the best."

"Uh, I'll tell the others," Tony groans, "You two wait until I'm gone before you start flirting again." You roll your eyes at him, before he leaves and you turn back to Bruce, who has tears in his eyes, some of which have escaped and are making their way down his face. You instantly feel a pang of sadness.

"Please don't cry Bruce," You gently squeeze his hands, "Please, I'm okay now, don't cry,"

"I'm so happy you're back," He sobs,

"I'm happy to be back here with you," You wipe the tears from his eyes, your hand lingering on the side of his face longer than it should. He looks into your eyes, and in a split second something changes. You both move closer to each other, Bruce's hands moving up to and caressing the sides of your face, you slowly shorten the distance between each other, your hands moving down to his chest, your eyes locked with his. Your faces are centimetres apart now, your breathing has deepened and you can feel butterflies fill your stomach, you both snap out of it and move apart when you hear the lift arrive, and heavy footsteps moving along the corridor. You see two heads peeking round the door, of course it's Loki and Bucky ruining the moment.

"Oh my God," Bucky looks like he's about to cry, "How did you do that? It's usually Loki's thing to die but not actually die,"

"Very funny," Loki pretends to be angry, but can't help smiling at you.

"Some very smart men helped me," You say, gesturing to Bruce, who's sitting awkwardly on the bed next to you.

"We wouldn't have been able to do it if you hadn't left us what we needed to bring you back." He pipes up, grinning.

"Wait-" It takes you a moment to process what he just said, "My crystals worked?"

Bruce nods, "With a few minor changes, and a bit of help from me, they were perfect."

"I thought you couldn't do that experiment," You say, confused, 

"I learnt. It was very important," You both smile, before you realise your friends are stood in front of you so you turn around to see them facing each other, looking so smug.

"So you two are just friends I presume." Loki says, earning a chuckle from Bucky.

"Oh come on, nothing even happened," You complain.

"Maybe if you'd walked in a few seconds later, you'd have seen something worth presuming about," Bruce says, before standing up and leaving the room. Loki and Bucky stare at you, eyes wide,

"Are you going to elaborate on that?" Bucky asks eagerly.

"Absolutely not," You smile, "Now could you please leave," you fake cough, "Tony says I need rest."

You manage to get them out of the room, you can't stop smiling to yourself, you almost kissed Bruce Banner.