Chapter Sixteen

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise. Scared, I slowly turn around to see a smirking Matthew standing near the doorway. Beads of sweat drips down my forehead as I bit my lip.
What is he going to do now? I'm not suppose to be in here. I didn't realize I was biting my lip so hard until I tasted a bit of blood.
If I am going to die, I have one last question to ask him. "This is not about the interview.." I said, closing my eyes tightly and clenching my fist. "No one this obsessed about a person, would try to kill them over a stupid job interview.."
The only response I got was a long silence. I didn't think he'd answer anyway, but there's always a chance. Even if it's the smallest chance anyone can think of.
"Open your eyes, Emma." He says. my eyes stayed shut. What if he has a gun in front of my face right now? Maybe he wants me to see what my death is going to be.
Since I didn't do as I was told, he repeated it. "Open your eyes, Emma." He said it more stern and cold. I didn't hesitate to open my eyes this time. Instead of being in front of the doorway like he was before, he was all close up in my face. I tried to back up, but the control panel kept me from doing so.
"You should already know why I have this collection of you, Emma." He said, moving closer to me. My eyes widen. "It's obviously because I love you."
My reaction went from shocked, scared, then just plain confused. "Wait, if you...love me.." I said, putting finger quotations around love me. "Why do you want to kill me..?"
After that question, the most insane, physco-like look spreads across his face slowly. Terrible vibes roams the room, making me shiver. Something told me I should've have never brought up the question.
"Because Emma..I have all the information about you." He moves even closer, but I lean back. He grabs my hand tight enough where it was impossible to move it away. "Now all I need is the main part...you."
I swallowed hard. "But..why do you need me dead..? Can't I be a-alive.." I stuttered. I need to learn how to shut my mouth, because Matthew looks even more physco now.
"NO!" He yells, making me jump. "You can't be alive. It's easier to control a dead body..because they can do whatever you want without hesitation..."
I didn't know how to react to this. There were so many emotions going on at once, I froze completely. I felt like numerous butterflies were violently swarmed in my stomach. I open my mouth to speak, but there's nothing I could say to clear the air. Those sentences will burn in mind and haunt me forever.
I stare at him for a long while, then sigh. Wordlessly, I leave the room slowly without any hesitation. Even though I wasn't looking at him, I could tell he still had that crazy smirk on his pathetic little face.
Soon, I stood in the room Xavier and Ally was in, neither of them were awake yet. I sat next to Xavier's body, examining his bullet wound in his hip. I didn't shoot him that deep, did I? I sigh, and delicately brush my fingers against the bandages that were patched against his wound.
"I'm sorry..." I mumbled. Of course, he didn't respond.
I lay next to him, and close my eyes. Please wake up soon, Xavier, I prayed. Then, I took a giant deep breath and went to sleep.

--

The sound of a shrieking alarm wakes me up instantly. Red lights flickered, sending more shivers down my spine. Puzzled, I stroll out the room to figure out what's going on. My eyes scanned for another person other than me, but the only one in the hall was Matthew. As I walk towards him, a weird smell grew stronger. Sweat blankets the palm of my hands, I dried it off with my shirt.
"Matthew..? W-whats going on..?" I asked.
He turns to me, and his face lights up. "I was just about to look for you! Don't panic, there's just a giant water leakage in the basement."
My eyebrows furrowed. "How?"
He shrugs. "It's like a freaking ocean in the basement, it must've been connected to some pipe that carries a lot of water from somewhere."
Now I'm starting to understand why this mansion was abandoned.
"So why are you looking for me then..?"
"You and Timothy needs to find a way to stop it, I would do it but...water and I don't get along." He said.
"Just like you and sanity.." I mumbled. I could tell he heard me, but he chose to ignore it.
"Timothy!" He calls. The sound of running footsteps rumbled down the hall, soon revealing a teenage boy around my age.
"Lead Emma to the basement, please." Matthew commanded. With one nod, Timothy takes my arm and leads me down to the basement. Silence stood between us as the smell of dirty water traveled to my nose. I can't believe I have to do this.
Once we approach the basement, water was flooded in the room to about ankle-height. Matthew wasn't kidding, it did look like an ocean.
"So we have to plug up those pipes." Tim said, pointing at each pipe that was spewing out huge amounts of filthy water. I roll my eyes.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's just hurry up and do this." I said, walking down the wooden stairs and stepping into the water. I felt horribly uncomfortable, but easily got used to it after a couple minutes.
I look around for something big to clog up the pipe, but there was only an ax. Of course.
"There's only an ax here." I said, looking at Tim.
He bit his lip for a second, then grabbed the ax. "I have an idea." He said, walking to one of the water-pouring pipes. What is he planning? He wildly started to hit the old wood underneath the pipe as the water wet his clothes.
"This isn't going to help any--" I stopped my sentence once I heard a creaking noise. I look closely and notice water started to drip from in between the wooden walls. Water is going to flood this place like crazy if we keep going.
"Tim! Stop!!"
But he doesn't, he keeps repeatedly hitting the wall, ignoring me completely. The walls were now at the verge of bursting. I had to stop him.
"STOP!" I scream, as I try to pull back the ax from hitting again. But as soon as I do, the walls burst with water like a geyser.
Tim and I panics instantly. We ran up the small steps of stairs to get out the basement, but he stops in front of me once we're near the doorway.
"Why are you stopping?!" I said, watching more and more water gush out of the wall.
He turns to me, throwing the ax into the water. "I'm leaving, YOU'RE staying here and fixing this!" He yells. Anger fills me quickly. He can't be serious.
"NO, Neither of us are working on this because--" before I could finish my sentence, he pushes me back hard. I slip on the wet stairs, and plunge into the water. Large amounts of it rushes over me. I couldn't stand up, or catch my balance. My vision was a complete blur. I didn't know where Tim went, but I know he wasn't helping me.
I can't breathe, was the only three words that repeatedly played in my head.
My hands search around for an object that I pull myself up with quickly. Nothing. The edges around my eyes started going black, and I felt my strength weakening.
I'm dying.
I repeated in my head.
I'm dying.
Just when I felt like I was going to pass out, my hands gripped onto something. I easily pull myself up, choking up all the water that found its way into my throat. The water was shoulder-length now, it was flooding quickly.
I walked back to the doorway where Tim pushed me, but the door itself was locked. He locked me in here. I walk up to the door, and banged on it repeatedly, yelling for help. Still nothing. Where's Matthew's crazy stalker device when you need it?!
I turn around and scan the room for other ideas to get out of here. The water was already approaching its way up to the last stair. I sigh, and sit on the floor.
I make it out of a lot of things, but I think this is it.
This Is it.

Again, sorry for the rush. I have to study for even MORE tests. Uggghhh. But. Yeah.
Bye.