The Prince & The Princess

A few days had passed since she had asked Harry to leave her house. Although they worked together, it wasn't the same as it was before. She could see the hurt in Harry's eyes when he tried to speak to her and she responded with only work related things. He would ask her to do jobs in the classroom as he usually did, but she would do so without question, without making conversation. She sat with the kids at lunchtime, enjoying their fun conversations and avoiding the staff room. After work she always just headed straight home, choosing not to walk with Harry like they usually did - she just needed time to think.

Maybe she could go. Maybe all that she had built for herself here was just temporary. Maybe going with Harry would be exciting, something fresh, something new. As soon as she thought those things it would cause her to panic. She loved it here, her house, her job - it was safe here. Alice couldn't help but feel constantly confused.

When she had asked Harry to leave she had been hurt and angry. For Harry to just assume that she could up and leave had baffled her. It frustrated her that he had assumed she would be the one to bend to change. She thought he understood how much her home meant to her and how a huge change like this might have sent her spiraling. Alice would never be able to leave her beloved Fred, she couldn't take him with her. The thought of landing on Harry's mum's doorstep with just her cat, a suitcase and no job, it wasn't practical - it was embarrassing.

On Thursday night, Hayley came round to stay. Her usual bottle of rose in one hand and a takeaway to try and cheer Alice up in the other. Sitting together in the living room Hayley asked Alice what she was thinking - and to be honest, Alice had no idea.

'I don't know what to think. I'm hurt that he assumed my life was simple, that I would be able to just up and leave,' Alice sighed.

'I don't think he meant it like that, in the heat of the moment he was looking for a solution - anything to not lose you Alice,' Hayley replied, topping up their wine.

'It hurt though,' Alice said, taking a sip. 'I was angry. I know now he didn't mean it - he's been the most understanding person I've ever met. He really gets me, I guess that's why it threw me - it just wasn't like him,'.

'Alice the guy is besotted with you, you can tell from the way he looks at you - he worships the ground you walk on.' Hayley took a swig of her wine before she continued. 'He didn't tell you because he didn't want to upset you, he was protecting you. You are the most important thing to him and I'm pretty sure that the thought of leaving you is killing him. He wanted to try and sort it out before he had to potentially break your heart Alice,'.

Alice didn't say a word, just listened to her guardian angel - Hayley always knew what to say.

'Niall says he has been a mess Alice, you not replying to his messages has had him climbing the walls. Niall's over at his tonight trying to distract him from losing his mind. He's quite literally crazy about you, he loves you.' Hayley scooted closer to Alice on the couch.

'I know. I love him Hayley, but - I'm scared,' Alice said quietly.

'Scared of what?' Hayley asked. Alice didn't speak, she felt the tears begin to build up in her eyes - her breathing becoming quicker. She tried to brush the tears away with the back of her hand but the rising panic in her chest wouldn't back down.

'Alice what is it?' Hayley said worriedly, putting down her glass and throwing her arms around her best friend - causing Alice to fully break down.

'I don't want to leave here, I don't want to leave mum's house - this is all I have left of her,' Alice cried, 'It's so pathetic, I'm so scared I will have nothing left of her if I leave,'.