Chapter 6

I woke to a cold gust of wind. I thought my window was open but when I opened my eyes I wasn't even in my room. I seemed to be in some kind of forest. I looked at my surroundings. Trees circled me in every direction. There was a simple dirt path leading to who knows where, but I followed it anyway. It led to a small cottage in the middle of a vast clearing. I approached the cottage. The winds where picking up speed. I looked up towards the clouds to see a tornado forming. "Not again!" I winned. I started running for the cottage, but it was too late. The tornado had already hit the ground behind me. The wind was so strong that I realized my feet weren't touching the ground anymore. I screamed as the tornado pulled me towards it.

I woke up screaming on the floor beside my bed. It was just a dream! I thought. Sweat dripped from my forehead. It was the third nightmare I had since the incident. Its been almost a week, but the scary thoughts still lingered at the back of my mind.
I got up and went back into my bed. It was 2:00 in the morning. After a while of staring at my ceiling counting sheep I grabbed my phone from off my bedside table to read for a little. Or at least until I fell asleep.

The next thing I remember is me waking up with my phone on my face. I probably fell asleep while reading. I got outta bed and got ready for the day. We didn't have to go to school because before the incident we only had a week left before spring break so they extended it.

I wanted to do something to get my mind off of the tornado so I called up Katie. "Hey! How are you?" I asked.

"Im ok. But im kinda still a little shaken up. How about you?" She responded.

"Ok. I just wanna keep stuff on my mind rather than what happened the other day. Maybe we can meet up at the mall." I said. I was hoping she would say yes because I really wanted to talk to her.

"Yeah. That'll be fun. Can Andrew come?" She asked. Of course she wanted Andrew to come, we did everything with him. I said yes and hung up.

~~~~~~~~

We were at the mall sitting around a table in the food court. Andrew was kind enough to buy us all pizzas and smoothies. We thanked him and started eating.

"Hey did you hear about the Fair coming early this year? Its supposed to be twice as big as last year." Andrew said excitedly.

"Yeah! Its supposed to be a big hit! I cant wait for it to come!" Katie replied. She sipped her smoothie and took a bite of her pizza before adding, "I have to find someone to go with, though. You cant go to The Fair without a date!" She wined.

"You don't need a date. It'll be just as fun with us." I said pointing at Andrew and I. Katie rolled her eyes, and Andrew laughed at it. I stuck out my toung at her in reply.

"That's easy for you to say. You already have a date!" Katie responded. I made a confused look at that. I didn't have a date, heak no boy even takes a second glance at me, if they do its cause of my eyes.

"I do not have a boyfriend." I said

"Sure you do. That new dude Caleb seems to pay a lot of attention to you. And I know you Paige, its kinda obvious when you like someone." Andrew said. Was it really that obvious? I thought.

"Oh look there he is now." Andrew said while pointing to Caleb that was across the mall food court talking to some friends. He looked so cute in a black leather jacket and black pants. His hair was spiked and he was with some of Andrews friends. He seemed so prefect. He was nice, hot, loved to read, and protective. But I knew like any other "perfect" boy, he would come and go.

With out any warning Andrew waved them over here. Soon enough we were all sitting around the table talking. What was weird though is that I could have sworn I heard Andrew and Katie flirting. Could they like each other? I never thought of them together. I mean they were just friends right? I shook the thought.

"So how are you?" One of the guys said. I looked up from my phone. Everyone was looking at me now.

"Um.... Good I guess. Why?" I asked confused.

"Your being really quiet." Katie added. I had been looking at the news, things just seemed to be getting worse. There was a weird outbreak in Australia that killed half of the population and turned the rest into flesh eating monsters. I was scared for my father. "Oh. You're not looking at the news again are you? Paige, that's just going to make you more stressed. You came here to get your mind off all that crazy stuff." Katie stated. I knew perfectly well that she cared and worried about my dad also, she just hated seeing me upset. She was just trying to keep my mind off it and I loved her for that.

I took a deep breath and set my phone down. Katie was right I did come here to have fun and hangout. I had plenty of time to worry about that stuff later. "Hey, I heard you guys had some kind of big carnival that comes to town. Is it a big thing around here?" Caleb asked, changing the subject.

"Yes!" Katie exclaimed,"It's the biggest thing of the year. Everyone goes. There are rides, food, and more food!" Katie loves the Fair food, and I can't blame her, the food there is really good. Everyone around these parts love the fair, it's probably the most fun thing around. We go every year and never miss it.

"Cool sounds fun. I'm gonna have to go check it out." He said calmly. He's always so casual and calm about everything.

"You can come with us." Andrew suggested.

"Great. Thanks." He replied.

We stayed there and talked for another hour. We tried to stay off the whole school-got-ran-over-by-tornado subject but always seemed to drift back to it. More and more weird phenomenons keep happening around the world and the boys are starting to call it The End. I think it's crazy though. The world couldn't be ending, things like this probably happen a few hundred years, I tell myself.

We all eventually split up, Andrew went home, and the other boys wandered off somewhere. Katie finally convinced me to go look around at clothes with her. I kinda don't like shopping at all and think it's a waste of time but I go every once and a while with Katie to make her happy. "What about this one?" She asked me.

"Ummm.... What?" I wasn't really paying attention. My thoughts were somewhere else.

"You poor thing," Katie mocked,"Are you going to pass out because it's so boring?" She teasingly pinched the back of my arm and took off down the clothes isle. Oh you're on. I thought. This is what I love best about Katie; she's always their to make the best of the situation, no matter if it is boredom from shopping. We chased each other around the store until the manger told us to settle down. We walked out of the store laughing of embarrassment.

"You wanna stay the night?" I ask Katie as we walk to her car.

"Sure we can stop by my house real quick to get my stuff." Then we drove off down the street.