Chapter Four

Chapter Four

   "We?" I asked after I'd calmed myself down.

"We: me and my friends." He confirmed.

"Thank you...ummm,"

"Randy. Randy McNair."

"Thank you, Randy."

"And who might you be, my crying beauty?" Randy asked as he led me back to the table, sat me down and handed me a tissue.

I smiled, took it and wiped my eyes before saying "Carrie Barnett."

"That's a beautiful name." He smiled as he said this.

"Thanks." I muttered with a small smile on my lips.

   "Ummm, so, why do you want to help me?" I asked as we sipped on cups of tea.

"Because...you looked terrified when I saw you. Also, I think a guy hitting - well, even insulting - a girl is awful. I...I just don't like to see it. It shows weakness. You know, that some guy has to pick on a girl that really - no offence - but...can't protect themselves." Randy said before pushing the plate of chocolate digestives towards me. I smiled, took one from the plate and dipped it into my drink, I then took a nibble from the edge of the biscuit. "So lady like." Randy commented.

"Pardon?" I asked.

"I mean, taking a tiny bite from the edge, it's all so proper and polite. A guy would just ram it in and hope not to choke." I laughed and nodded.

I laughed, saying "True, so very true." between laughs. Randy was sat smiling at me. Well, I suppose you could only call it smiling if her were a Russian doll, I mean, the smile was perfect and full of joy.

   "What?" I asked, curiously.

"Nothing." He muttered.

"No. Something." He just shook his head. "Spill." I demanded. He continued to shake his head. I then stood up and walked round to him. Randy looked at me as if I were a mouse by his feet, no threat whatsoever. I stood above him - only just - and looked down at him, my left eyebrow cocked as he stopped shaking his head. "What is it, Randy? Why are you smiling like the cat who just got the cream?"

"It's noth-"

"Ah! Not nothing, something." He just stared at me. Why couldn't he tell me? It was killing me not knowing. It felt like I was with Kendrick all over again; the last to know. "Please. Please tell me, I hate not knowing, being the one that just get told what they're doing. Please, Randy." I half-pleaded.

"I'm being serious, you know, it's really nothing."

"If it's nothing, then surely you can tell me."

"It was just that you have such a gorgeous smile and a wonderful laugh. That's all, nothing overly important."

   "That's really important." I whispered. Randy looked at me confused. "I never really get compliments. If a guy tries to compliment me, he goes all overprotective and tries to start a fight and he never compliments me himself. It's just nice to be told things once in a while, boosts confidence and makes you feel better about yourself, you know? I mean, I'm not trying to fish for compliments but...well," I said, starting to ramble on. Randy then lent forward and pressed his lips to mine. I instantly pulled away and ran for the door. He stood up and came towards me, trying to get closer to me but, once again, I felt trapped and threatened. I yanked the door open and rushed out of it, hearing Randy shouting "Carrie! Carrie, come back!" I ignored him and ran along the country lane until I came to a field. I walked in and sat down, with my back to the opening. I don't know why, but I felt safe in that field, untouchable. Weird, but, well, that's kind of the definition of my life, so...it's really kind of fitting. I wiped at my teary eyes, trying not to make my make up look any worse than it already did. I cried silently in that field.

   "I'm sorry. That was...really stupid of me." A voice said from behind me. My head snapped round to meet Randy standing at the opening in the hedge behind me. I stood up and slowly backed away from him, putting a couple of metres between us, it made me feel like I had a chance. To run, I mean. If I needed to. I took another step back as he took one towards me. He sighed and gave up on trying to get nearer to me. "Look, I'm sorry." Randy said, exhaling heavily and taking one last shot at getting closer to me. I shook my head.

"Don't. That's what Kendrick did, got closer and clos-" I cut myself off, realizing that I had just said that it was him. I put my hand over my mouth and looked at Randy's feet, not wanting to look him in the eyes.

He came closer to me and said "Kendrick? Like, Kendrick Jamerson?" I didn't answer, just tried to hide the fear that had taken over my face as the tone of his voice had changed, filled with more anger and hatred. I shook my head and continued to stare down. Randy took my chin between his thumb and finger and lifted it so that I was looking him in the eye. "Tell me, Carrie, is it Kendrick Jamerson?" I tried to avert my eyes before I gave in and nodded weakly. Tears fell down my cheeks as I fell into his arms. I heard him mutter "Son of a fucking bitch." He held me tight as I cried. I wasn't bothered about him touching me now, he was comforting me and I needed it, I didn't feel like he was forcing it on me. I felt safe and - strangely - at home, almost.

   "Come on Carrie, let's meet the guys." Randy said as I walked out of the bathroom, having just finished tidying myself up; dabbing my face with cool water and wiping away my smudged make up. I nodded and walked towards him. He smiled at me and said "Gorgeous."

"Thank you." I whispered. As we were driving along the road, I fell asleep, the passing scenery and motion making me tired.

   "Carrie, wake up." I felt someone nudging my arm slightly. I stirred a little but dismissed it. "Carrie, we're here." My eyes fluttered and then I opened them to find Randy looking at me from the drivers side of the car.

"Where are we?" I asked him blearily.

"Out. Going to meet my friends." He told me. I nodded and unclipped my seat belt. Stepping out of the car, I saw that we were in a car park and bright lights were blaring away. Apparently, in the time I had been asleep, it had gotten dark enough for street lights to come on.

"McNair!" I heard a crowd of people shout as we entered the Rugby clubs training field. Randy raised his hand to the tall, broad men that were stood in the centre of the pitch.

"Guys, this is Carrie. Carrie, meet the guys." The group of guys came charging towards us. I instantly stepped behind Randy, causing them all to laugh. I was biting my lip. "Guys." Randy said, in a tone only loud enough to be heard. He was shaking his head in a 'don't' motion. They soon quitened down and Randy slipped his hand into my own and guided me out from behind him. The rugby players all looked friendly enough, just tall, strong and a little threatening because of how big they were. "Carrie, these are the guys that will be willing to look after you." The players all started to introduce themselves and I didn't take in a single name, just smiled at them weakly.

   "So, what's the problem?" One of the guys at the front asked.

"Jamerson, Kendrick Jamerson." Randy said and all of the players started to shout and shake their arms in the air.