Abducted (2)

Make sure you hit that little star at the bottom of the chapter if you enjoyed what you have read! It helps more than most realize!
Don't be afraid to comment, either! I love to hear feedback and thoughts!

Marco

My eyes darted from the photos of Lexie and Joshua back up to Darius. "What the hell is this?"

"Exactly like I said, man. I have been doing some digging. Lexie and Joshua both quit some time ago, just prior to her moving back here. There have been allegations of some sexual misconduct. It's been moving through the courts but very slowly. This Fernando guy is a big deal over there and has a lot of connections. He's claiming it's all bogus."

"How is that worth him hiring Jaques? It doesn't make sense." My eyebrows furrowed as I began to sift through the documents in the folder. "That's a big gun to hire for something like this."

"He knows her connection to our family, Marco. He isn't taking it lightly. He reached out to the Mesrine family a few months back and they sent him to Jaques. I think he figures if he takes her out, the court case dies with her, and he continues to live his happy, perverted life." Darius watched me closely as I pulled out copies of the court case.

The deep growl rolled out of me as my eyes shifted back and forth, reading over the paper. "Fuck Jaques. I will go there and kill this Fernando fucker myself."

Darius shook his head, reaching over and grabbing the crumpled papers out of my closed fist. "Unfortunately, the time for that has come and gone. We need to get them out of this city as quickly as possible."

"We?" I took the sheets of paper back, smoothing them the best I could, placing them back in the folder and shutting it.

He stood up, pulling his phone out once again and sending off a message. "Yes. We. We leave tonight. Gramps has a safe house set up for us. He is fully up to date on the situation and will handle things while we are gone. He was the one that insisted that I go with you. He doesn't trust anyone other than us with the life of his 'favorite niece'." He did air quotes as he said favorite niece, rolling his eyes.

"The man has a soft spot for her." I agreed as we exited the room, moving towards our living quarters.

"She reminds him of Nonna. He misses her and being around Lexie... well, you can just see it in his eyes. Makes remembering her easier. You have ten minutes to pack then we need to get moving. My last message has Jaques located three blocks from Lexie's place. I don't think he will strike tonight. But he is too close for comfort." Darius paused at his bedroom door, turning to look at me with a grin. "Think the little friend will put up a fight?"

"Do you want him to?" I cocked an eyebrow at him as I smiled back. I didn't smile at many people, but Darius brought it out in me.

He nodded eagerly, throwing his door open. "Fuck yeah, I do. This could be fun."

When he disappeared into his room, I grabbed my packed duffle bag out of my closet, unzipping it and checking the contents. One thing about when you work in our line of business, you were always ready to go at a moment's notice. Running was never ideal, but the rare occasion came up when it was necessary.

Lifting the rug on the floor, I pulled up the loose floorboards, opening the safe that was inside, pulling out the bundles of cash and extra weapons. I quickly shoved them inside the duffle bag before heading into the bathroom and grabbing my shower items.

"Ready to go?" Darius popped his head into my room, a duffle bag slung over his body.

I zipped up my bag and threw the cross strap over my body, patting the bag. "Let's do this. My little Sfinge is going to lose her mind. I don't see this going well at all."