3

"—les? Riley?" JJ's soft voice woke me up, his fingers brushing through my hair.

    "JJ?" I opened my eyes, squinting as the sun shone brightly.

    He smiled, "Hey, Ri. How are you feeling?"

    "Better,"

    He helped me sit up and he handed me a glass of water. "Here. Drink something."

    "Thanks, JJ." I took the glass from him and took a small sip. "How long was I out for?"

"Two days. You gave us all a good scare." He replied, taking a seat on the bed next to me and looking at the wall in front of us.

"I'm sorry, JJ. I didn't mean to."

"It's alright, Riley. As long as you promise me you won't do something reckless like that again."

"I will when you start."

He chuckled and dragged a hand through his hair. "Unlikely,"

I smiled softly and set the glass of water down on the coffee table. "Help me up?"

JJ stood up and held out his hand, taking mine and slowly helping me stand up, placing a hand on my back so I didn't fall from being light-headed.

We walked outside and met up with KeKe and Pope, but no John B or Kiara.

"Where's John B?" I asked.

"Out to return the gear we borrowed from Ward's boat." Pope answered, "Glad you're up."

"Yeah. You gave JJ here a heart attack. You should have seen him being all depressed and worried for you." KeKe said, looking at the blonde's hand on my back.

    "KeKe!" JJ said, obviously embarrassed.

    "It was adorable. Every spare moment when he got away from John B, he would go inside and check on you—" she said.

    "Are you trying to kill me?" JJ asked her, his face going red.

    "Of course not, Blondie. She knows I'm only allowed to do that." I said to JJ.

    "Well, that makes me feel a little bit better. You're most likely going to be the death of me, anyways."

    "Not true," I said.

    "You guys can flirt later. John B just came back, and you know he's not gonna be happy when he sees you flirting with his sister." Pope told us.

    "But he lets you flirt with her?" JJ asked Pope.

    "There's a reason. We told him and he's cool with it." Pope said.

    "And what's the reason?" JJ asked, looking between me and Pope.

    "We'll tell you once you stop flunking History." I told him.

———

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you." JJ told my brother as we drove down the road in my brother's van.

    "She's all like "oh, John B." I said dramatically, making JJ turn around from the passenger's seat and smile at me.

    "Is that what she does?" John B asked.

    "She's sketchy of you diving and then she kissed you." JJ said.

"She kissed me on the cheek." He corrected, "it's not like we were makin' out."