Love&Monsters [Joel X Reader] pt. 2

Imagine that when you find safety at the Avengers compound and are all settled in, Joel admits that he might know of another colony in need of rescuing.

. .

. .

For a few hours, Joel helps you pack up all your gadgets, experiments and materials. You pack up the food and any available clothing, but are hesitant to pack it all up because should the compound ever be compromised then you were going to need another safe location to flee to. And when expressing your thoughts to Joel, he agrees to leave behind a small stash of everything in case you ever need to return.

All your personal belongings in your room were going with you, so Joel helped with that as well. He found a bunch of books and games in the main room to pick through, and you packed up most of the medicine and other first aid supplies.

Then when it seems like you've packed up all you could, you and Joel head outside with Boy and watch him run around for a bit.

Later, You and Joel are eating dinner when you notice how quiet he's gone. You were going to let it go, but seeing his contemplative expression was just too much. So placing your small pack of food down, you lightly kick out at his ankle under the table. "What's wrong?"

"Hmm?" He looks at you. "Nothing."

"Joel." You raise an eyebrow at him and he shifts nervously.

Finally, he sighs. "It's just- I just realized you're about to be reunited with your dad and all these people you know."

"Okay. And?"

"And.." He drawls, nervously rubbing the back of his neck as he averts his gaze. "Well I'm just assuming that there will be other people and you'll start to pull away."

"Pull away? From you, you mean?" Joel remains quiet, but his sudden blush is all too telling. "Just because I'm going to be in a more familiar territory with a lot more familiar faces doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to cast you aside," you say. "I like you, you dummy. Like genuinely like you. You're stuck with me until you say otherwise."

Joel grins and you know his fears have been put to rest. At least for now they have. The real test would be when you're actually surrounded by everyone. Then looking better, Joel goes back to eating and you follow suit.

Afterwards, you and Joel are sitting on the couch when there's a telltale zap!, followed by, "Sonnuvabitch!"

You snort, Boy perks up and starts to bark, and Joel looks around with wide eyes. "What the hell was that?"

"We're in the middle of an apocalypse, babe. Did you really think I wouldn't boobytrap the only entrance and exit to the bunker?" You get up and make your way to the entrance. "Who is it?" You singsong.

"Open the door, you little brat! My own flesh and blood is not supposed to treat me this way."

You grin and deactivate the bunker's defenses, yanking open the door to beam at your father. He looks exactly the same, if not a little more exhausted than usual, so it doesn't take long for your smile to crumble as the weight of the situation sinks in. The moment the first sob escapes your mouth, your dad is lunging forward and wrapping you up in the tightest embrace he can.

"Hey. Hey, kiddo, it's okay. I'm here now."

After a few moments of just clinging to one another, your dad steps back, and you laugh as you wipe your tears away while hugging the next person in line. Natasha is standing there, smiling as she readily hugs you. Clint is right behind her, followed by Steve and then Wanda. You usher them all into the bunker, shutting the door behind them and then introducing them to a clearly awestruck Joel.