Chapter Two

FABLES POV

The crash woke me from whatever I was in. Half asleep and half awake in a limbo between the world of the dead and the living. I focused my eyes on Daryl, a broken chair in his hands. He looked up at me and grumbled something that I couldn't make out before throwing the pieces of the broken chair into a dimly lit fireplace.

I pushed myself off the couch and into a standing position, holding out my hands to steady myself when I was about to fall.

I grabbed my bow off the ground and started to walk towards the stairs.

"What are you doing?". I hear Daryl ask behind me.

"I'm going to bed." I say, my words slightly slurred as if I were drunk. I wish I was drunk. "You can handle guard duty can't you? You seem to have everything else under control."

He glares at me and I can tell what I had said had pissed him off. Good, I thought, serves him right for being an asshole earlier.

It wasn't in my nature to act this way. A total bitch some would call it. But I honestly couldn't help it, I was tired and angry at the world.

"Sorry." I mumble realizing that we were standing in an awkward silence. "I'm just gonna go get some sleep upstairs if that's okay with you."

His shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. "Whatever kid." He says, grabbing another chair and throwing it to the ground, making more broken pieces. I watch as he grabs them and throws them into the growing flame.

"I'm not a kid." I mutter to myself before I head up the stairs to find a room. I chose the one at the end of the long and narrow hall. I flung open the door and basked in the calming lavender walls that surrounded me.

I laid my bow against one of the walls, and threw my hair up into a messy ponytail. I found myself playing with the end of it, my fingers working their way in and out. I looked up ad was met with my reflection in a mirror in front of me.

My eyes darted to the single braid that ran down my ponytail.

Tears threatened to spill over and I quickly pulled the tie out, freeing my hair and letting it fall to where it framed my face. It was long and knotted, its darkness made my face look eerily pale but at the same time made my eyes pop. I remember my dad giving me the nickname killer eyes as a kid. If only looks could kill. I just felt like I was staring at a stranger.

I peeled my flannel shirt off and hung it over and curve of my bow. I shivered walking around in just a small black tank top but I crawled into the bed and pulled the blankets up around me, breathing a sigh of relief when the heat slowly covered me. I only had my head down for a second before my eyelids fluttered shut and darkness consumed me.

...............................................................

I skipped to my room, eager to continue writing my story in my journal. Lately I've had to stay up late to finish writing a part and I couldn't put it down unless I was done, I didn't want to lose my train of thought.

When I opened my door to my room I knew instantly something was wrong. My heart started to beat faster and faster and I quickly ran across my room and opened my drawer to where I kept my sacred notebook. It was empty, and I knew the only person that could have possibly taken it.

"Shane!" I shout from the top of my lungs before stomping out of my room and into the hall. His door is right across from mine and I can hear the music blaring from it. I grab the knob and turn it before barging in.

He was sitting at his desk, twirling a pencil in his hand, his head leaned forward in concentration. In front if him lay my journal.

I lunged forward and grabbed it out of his view, holding it close to my chest.

"Didn't that police academy teach you that stealing is wrong?" I spit out angrily.

His mouth curved into one of his half smiles, and he lifted his hand to run it through his curly black hair. "Technically it wasn't stealing if it was just sitting out in the open." He says, swiveling in his chair.

"It wasn't sitting out in the open, you jerk! It was in my desk!" I say loudly. "So you stole it!"

"I didn't steal it, you little twerp! It was sitting on-"

My dad pokes his head into the room. "Hey!" He says. Both of you stop it right now!"

"He started it." I mumble at the same time as Shane who says "She started it."

Dad narrows his eyes at my brother. "You do realize that your twenty something and she's like ten, grow up a little will you Shane?" And then he was gone.

"Sorry." Shane mutters, crossing his arms. "I didn't take it out of your desk, I did find it. I guess it's up to you if you want to believe me or not."

I clutched the notebook closer to my chest and looked at the floor. He was playing the 'I'm an innocent, good guy' card. I coughed, trying to cover up my smile. I headed towards the door.

"Hey, Fable?" Shane calls behind me.

I look over my shoulder at him. "Yeah?"

He gives me toothy grin. "Your a good writer." He says. "For a kid."

I smile and grab one of his baseballs off of his platform on his desk. I throw it at him and watches as it hits him square in the chest.

"Ow!" He says, rubbing the spot where I hit him "What was that for?"

"You know better than to call me a kid, Shane Walsh." I say before darting out of his room with a big smile on my face.

..............................................................

I woke with a start, sitting up in the bed ad trying to get a sense of my surroundings. Sweat dripped down my back, hot and sticky. I throw the blankets off of me and crawl out of bed before walking to the window. I unlatched it and lifted it open letting the cool Georgia air seep in and surround me. I didn't want to think about the dream when all it brought was painful memories and the unknown.

I glanced out into the dark and empty sky trying to clear my thoughts when I saw something. A small flickering light in a house only a few away from ours. it was only there for a second before it disappeared but I knew what it meant and I didn't like it.

We weren't alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shane?!?! How do you guys feel about that huh? 😉 I wonder who could be in that house, are they friendly? Mean? Stalkers like the Alexandrians? 😂😂

Who would like to see Daryl breaking apart some chairs? I know I would!

As always leave a comment and vote if you like the chapter, I'm gonna try to update every night or every other night this week! :)

Hope you enjoy!

Love, Anna <3