Chapter 19 - Rising Tensions - Rewritten

Dooku has long been used to awakening early, and every morning, he's awake long before sunrise. It's a carryover from his days as a Jedi, but it's not a habit he has any reason to break. Even so, when he's woken up an hour earlier than normal – to receive a call from his master – saying that he's concerned would be an understatement. He has no doubt that Sidious is intentionally contacting him at this hour to make a point. He's clearly upset, which means that he's probably becoming suspicious.

They're running out of time.

Dooku makes haste to answer the comm, and it's only a matter of minutes before he's keeling before the hologram. "Yes, Master," he speaks submissively, bowing his head. How he hates showing any respect for the monster before him. Sidious cannot be allowed to live, not when he's planning to destroy the galaxy simply as a bid to have ultimate power. He wants the Sith to forever reign supreme, to forever twist and corrupt the Force. Dooku isn't that arrogant. He might have a quarrel with the Jedi, but they, at least, understand that the Force has a sentience of sorts, that the Force will not indefinitely allow these perversions without backlashing.

"I have heard disturbing news, Lord Tyrannus," replies Sidious, his tone greatly displeased. He's taking no pains to hide his anger, so Dooku suspects that this will be a conversation where Sidious says that he knows what Dooku's planning without actually saying so. It's not as though he thought he could make a plot against his master without him knowing. He waits silently for Sidious to continue, knowing that silence is the best course of action right now. He cautiously tightens his shields to prevent any emotions from slipping through.

"Kenobi was kidnapped from the Temple," Sidious tells him, "I presume you are responsible?"

"Yes, Master," he confirms, suspecting that he knows what's coming next. That Kenobi was kidnapped isn't news important enough for a nighttime call. Something else happened, something which he hadn't fully foreseen.

The Sith Master's displeasure is echoing strongly in the Force. "I heard rumors of a trained Force user who kidnapped him," the Sidious' ominous voice continues. "He was hiding his Force signature, and the Jedi suspect Vader to be involved."

Dooku is suddenly grateful that Skywalker hasn't made any further attempts to join the Sith. It allows him to lie without actually lying. "Vader has been taken care of, my Lord," murmurs Dooku. "The agent I employed is trained with stealth, not the Dark Side. I remained near the Temple to cloak him myself." It's the truth from a certain point of view. Sidious will, of course, sense that something is amiss, though he won't know what. Hopefully. Chances are high that he already suspects Skywalker and Vader to be the same individual.

For an excruciatingly long moment, Sidious remains silent, and Dooku gets the feeling that the Sith Lord is carefully choosing his words. There isn't any obvious lie, so he can't accuse Dooku of lying. "Are your feelings clear on this matter, my apprentice?" There's a low threat in the words, and Dooku pretends not to notice the way the Dark Side coils around his neck, applying pressure – an unspoken, obvious threat.

But Dooku wouldn't be alive if he didn't know how to deceive his master. He continues projecting a front of loyalty and submission, letting his fear go. If he is meant to die, there is nothing he can do to stop it. "They are, Master," he answers, and the slight pressure disappears.

Again, Sidious is quiet before speaking. "Have you learned anything of Skywalker?"

This is almost as tricky as evading questions about Vader was. "No, Master," Dooku responds, "I have spoken to Kenobi, but he is not forthcoming with any information. He insists that the boy is dead. If he does not give in and speak to me, I will take the necessary measures to ensure that Skywalker be brought to you." That is also the truth. They cannot wait much longer. If Kenobi is unwilling to give in, they'll have to try something else.