Chapter 14 - Kidnapping - Rewritten

Anakin frankly isn't sure how he feels right now. Dooku had made it clear to him that he would not accept any more arguments about kidnapping Obi-Wan from the Temple to recruit him to their cause. But at the same time, Anakin isn't really happy about the plan. He had initially assumed that he and Dooku would be able to sneak around on the sidelines and kill Sidious that way, but when their plan fell apart on Naboo – no thanks to his own irrationality – they needed a new one. Unfortunately, this new plan involves openly collaborating with Dooku, something Anakin had never anticipated having to do. He knows for certain that if the Republic learns of his current actions, he'll be labeled a traitor and possibly executed for treason if he's captured. Wonderful.

But... the main problem is in capturing Obi-Wan. He doesn't trust himself to be able to act rationally around the man who crushed his heart. They were – they were supposed to be a team, The Team, they were supposed to fight together and stay together. He'd thought, he had really thought that Obi-Wan might actually care about him – and he certainly knew how much Anakin cared about him. So then why? Why this deception?

He really doesn't want to face Obi-Wan again, something that is a given if he follows through with the plan, and there's no if involved. He is, he has to grudgingly admit, the best person to sneak into the Temple and kidnap a Council member. And, of course, pray that said Jedi Master doesn't wake up during the attempt.

If it was anyone other than Obi-Wan, Anakin would probably think Dooku insane, but he must give the Sith Lord credit for being crafty. It's been five days since Sidious ordered Dooku to capture Anakin. It's been four days since the Count and Anakin achieved a newer, unspoken truce. Four says in which they've spent hours discussing their new plan as well as focusing on Anakin's emotional control which will be crucial for the inevitable confrontation with Sidious. They also sparred a couple times, though Anakin could tell that Dooku was a bit uneasy, probably still remembering what happened the first time.

It's also been four days in which Anakin has tried to get his emotions under control once more. With a deadline hanging over his head, it's been easier to concentrate on the task at hand, instead of dwelling on Obi-Wan's betrayal. Part of him still aches terribly from how everything went down, and he suspects that the pain will never fully fade. No matter how much he wants things to be the same – and he does; he would do anything if he could – they never will be.

He's secretly terrified to return to Coruscant. It will remind him of what happened again, and he doesn't know if he can handle the reopening of all the wounds which have permanently scarred his heart. Sighing, Anakin lets his eyes fall closed as he stands in the middle of his room. Dooku was right again. Obi-Wan is really the best Jedi who could help him. Much as he loathes to admit it, his former master will help – he can hope – if it means helping Anakin and maybe taking a step towards fixing their relationship.

It's wishful thinking. Apparently, their relationship didn't mean nearly as much to Obi-Wan as it did – and still does – to Anakin. He didn't think twice before using Anakin, using him, as if he's nothing more than another tool. While Anakin is well aware of the fact that, to most of the Jedi, he is nothing more than a means to the end, a means to destroying the Sith, he had genuinely thought that Obi-Wan was different. But... he's not, and it hurts.

Much as he wishes that their relationship could be repaired – looking back, it's so easy now to see all the ways in which Sidious was making him doubt his former master, and maybe not all for manipulative purposes – he's not entirely certain if he wants that. Part of him wants nothing more than to have Obi-Wan back at his side. But there's another part, a larger part which is too afraid to let them get close again for fear that something will only hurt him all over again. He can't handle something like this again. It would totally destroy him.