Prologue

The scurrying of feet pried open Gray's eyes. He got up from the chair where he was dozing and observed his surroundings.

The air reeked of stink along with the cold damp feeling. Everything around him was dark and lonely other than the occasional noises of cars passing directly above. However, it was the faint sound of footsteps that had wakened him from his sleep.

"Andy! Wake up! I think someone is here," Gray urgently whispered to his partner who was also assigned the security guard duty along with him. However, no response came from Andy.

Gray walked over to his partner and shook his body. Andy still didn't reply. When he retreated his hands, he found them wet with blood.

Careful not to scream, Gray pressed his hands against his mouth to suppress the cries. Everything had happened too soon to make anything out of.

After taking a moment to compose himself, the guard lightly tapped the band on his wrist. A hologram screen displaying all his notifications, news, and weather flickered into existence. The light from the screen dimly lit the surrounding. It was a safer alternative than using a flashlight and attracting attention.

As he went deeper inside the underground chamber, his vision turned black all of a sudden. A hand grabbed at his neck and dragged him behind a rack.

"Vincent, is that you?" Gray asked once the hand released him.

"Yes, it's me. Now keep quiet, Gray," Vincent replied.

"What is going on here?"

"There are people here. They killed Ben and Kevin along with many others."

"Andy is dead as well."

"Whoever these people are, we need to stop them. Our job was to protect this place with our life."

"How are we going to do this?"

"I got a text from Jeff a minute ago. He is alive and gathering the remaining survivor. If we attack in force, we will be able to take down these intruders," Vincent said.

"How are we going to do it?" Gray asked.

"Jeff has gathered all surviving men posted in Entrance A to E. We just need to check Entrance H. Hopefully Orange and Kent still live."

"Okay, let's do it then," Gray replied.

"Follow me," Vincent commanded.

With just their Hologram Phones as a source of light, they moved as silently as they could through the dark tunnels of the underground facility until they finally arrived at Entrance H.

"Vincent? Gray? What is going on here?" Orange and Kent both emerged from their hiding place. They both seemed safe and sound.

"There are people here. I don't know who they are but they killed many of our men. Jeff plans to attack them in full force," Gray informed.

"I just got another message from Jeff. He wants us to rendezvous at the main hall. The intruders have somehow managed to hack through our security doors. They are headed for the main hangar. We need to stop before they reach their destination," Vincent said.

"They definitely want to steal some machines or rare metals from it," Orange said.

"Whatever they wish to steal, we need to hurry up. Move fast but silently."

The four guards made their way past a maze of corridors before arriving at the main hall which connected all entrances. However, to their surprise, it was empty.

As they spread out inside the hall, Gray stumbled upon something and almost lost his balance. When he shone his hologram phone's light on the ground, he couldn't stop the scream this time. On the ground beneath him lay the dead body of a man he recognized as Jeff.

Before Gray could determine his next steps, black figures emerged from the tunnels all around them.

"It's a trap!" Vincent cried. He reacted fast, taking out his pistol and blindly firing across the hall to cause chaos, giving time for the others to regroup with him at the center of the hall.

However, they still stood no chance against the intruders who had surrounded them from all sides, leaving no scope of escape.

For a moment, both sides stood staring at each other, waiting for someone to make a move. It was Orange who did the honors. Before anyone could react, he pounced at the nearest intruder to him, disarming the man and using him as a human shield to fire at the remaining guards.

Taking use of the distraction, Vincent shot an intruder on his head while Gray and Kent took care of a second.

But even then, the intruders still outnumbered them almost three to one and the crossfire very soon turned into a slaughter.

Kent was the first one to go down after taking three shots on his chest. Even Orange couldn't protect himself for long with his human shield. Someone managed to fire a precise shot on his leg, making him lose grip. His former human shield stabbed him with a knife as soon as he became free.

Realizing that the battle was lost, Gray and Vincent made the sensible move of escaping the fight. The crossfire had left one of the tunnels unguarded after the men guarding it were killed. The two wasted no time in heading for those tunnels, keeping the intruders engaged with shots as they made their dash to safety.

They managed to reach the tunnel safely but the surviving intruders remained hot on their heels, firing at them as they gave a chase. The duo maintained their early lead and slowly increased the distance between them and intruders.

However, just when the two started to believe that they had a chance of living, the incident which Gray never forgot, happened. It was too messy to even describe. Gray remembered Vincent running ahead of him a moment ago and then a splatter of blood on his face a while later.

Vincent's lifeless body fell upon Gray, still fresh with blood. And Gray couldn't even force himself to scream.

 And Gray couldn't even force himself to scream

Author's Note

Hey guys this is Hridiv! Hope you enjoyed the Prologue. For those who had read the first draft before, do not worry as you will not be bored with stuff you have already read.

In my first draft, the Prologue showed the Rebels in a war. However, in this draft, I changed it with an incident that will have an impact later in the story. Let me know in the comments who you think were the intruders and what was being kept hidden in the underground facility.

Also, I know the story hasn't even begun yet but a Sequel is confirmed!