Part 10 - Major Changes (in a good way)

Zhongli ended up telling stories for two hours before deciding to stop, resting his eyes and head while Childe slept soundly in his lap, still idly stroking his hair every few minutes. A sea storm had come and fallen over the city, Zhongli realised, having looked out of the window in the living room; it was cold in the room, their teas cold and the fire in the fireplace extinguished completely, only a spattering of vermillion embers providing some light in the room. A sudden crash of thunder woke Childe up; the ginger man shot to his feet in a matter of seconds.

"It's just some thunder," Zhongli calmed him down as Rex ran around the room frantically, distressed meows filling the room, "a storm has rolled in."

"How long was I even asleep? It was still sunny outside last I saw," Childe asked, stretching out his limbs.

"Well, I forgot to wake you up. You slept for two hours, we missed our reservations it seems," Zhongli explained sheepishly, a subtle dusting of pink spreading on his face. Childe laughed a little.

"I knew you would. You get so carried away when storytelling, I'm not surprised," the Harbinger chuckled, straightening out his shirt a bit.

"I apologise, truly. How should I make this up to you? I'll do anything I can," Zhongli pleaded, also standing up while picking up the two teacups. Childe blushed a bright red.

"No no no, I was just joking. It's fine, I'm not mad or anything. No need to say stuff like that," Childe chuckled nervously, keeping Zhongli in place, "although... I do have one idea of how you could 'pay me back', to put it simply?" Zhongli's shoulders tensed slightly.

"And, what might that be?" the Archon asked hesitantly, stepping slightly closer to Childe; the ginger man giggled slightly.

"Fight me!" he exclaimed, grabbing the lapels of Zhongli's vest in his hands, "just one little spar. Just the two of us." Zhongli's shoulders dropped.

"If that's what you want... let us spar tomorrow; how does that sound?" Zhongli responded, an exhale leaving his lips.

"Perfect! Well, let me go home; I should get a good rest if I want to fight you," Childe snickered, letting go of Zhongli; as the Harbinger turned, Zhongli grabbed his wrist and spun his back around.

"You are not going home in the weather. You'll catch a cold," Zhongli stated, casting a side glance at the rapidly growing storm outside, "you may stay overnight." Childe took a deep breath.

"Fine," he finally agreed, wiggling his hand free from Zhongli's grasp.

"Very well; let me take you to the bedroom," Zhongli smiled, leading the way back towards the entrance and veering off into a room next to the bathroom. The room itself was not huge, filled with a sizable queen, maybe even king size bed, decorated with various quilts and pillows. Shelves lined the walls, filled with books and trinkets and the occasional vase; ornate curtains lined the windows, intricate patterns weaving through the fabric.

"Wow your room is... lavish. It suits you," Childe breathed out, eyes falling on a new object every few seconds. He walked over to the bed and gently ran his hand over the covers.

"I will take that as a compliment. Would you like a pyjama set? I should have a spare," Zhongli said, opening the grand wardrobe and pulling out a set of silk crimson pyjamas.

"Yeah, thanks," Childe responded, taking the clothes from Zhongli's hands, "where should I sleep?" Zhongli pulled back the covers and motioned to the bed.

"Take the bed, make yourself comfortable," the Archon responded, "my own set is in the living room, excuse me for a moment." With that, he left the room.