Chapter 19

Will you won't you, be the one I'll always know
-

Meredith stared out the window of the small hospital room. They said she was in a coma and she knew it without them having to tell them. She was dreaming, it was a very long dream. In the dream, she realized a lot of things. A lot of things. Her thoughts were disrupted by a brief knock on the door. She tore her gaze from the window and looked at her visitor.

"Layton," she greeted him as he entered the room, carrying a bouquet of flowers.

"Hey, I heard you were awake," he placed the flowers on the bedside table, smiling down at her with his perfect smile.

"You know I'm not a fan of flowers," she gently kidded.

"I didn't know what else to get," he shrugged, placing his hands, one of them bandaged, inside his pockets. "I'm not a doctor so I don't really know what you can't or can eat."

"Chocolates will be a good thing," she lightly suggested. A moment of silence enveloped the room.

"Tell me something I don't know, Meredith," Layton broke the silence.

Meredith didn't know what to say but she knew that he knew what she was going to say and it pained her. She put on a wry smile. "How about you tell me something, Layton."

"I have a feeling I'm about to go back to DC with a broken heart," Layton let out a small smile.

She didn't know what else to do but look at him.

"I'll let go of you if you tell me you know he really is the one, Mer," Layton gently told her.

Meredith let out a small sigh. "He broke my heart... But..."

"But he is, right? He'll always be the one."

"Yeah," Meredith nodded, forcing herself not to cry. She didn't want to break Layton's heart. "I'm really sorry."

"Just take care, Mer," Layton said, placing on a brave smile. He leaned down and placed a lingering kiss on her forehead. "Don't let yourself get hurt."

"I won't."

"If you need anything, call me," he told her as he stepped backwards towards the door. "And don't worry about those men who did this, I'll have them taken care of. I'll miss you, Mer."

Meredith closed her eyes to stop her tears from falling. "I'll miss you, t-"

She didn't get to finish her sentence because by the time she opened her eyes, he was already out the room. She stared at the spot she last saw him and she didn't realize how much time passed by.

"What the heck's wrong with you?" Cristina entered her room.

"Cristina..."

"What?"

"Can you call Derek?" she asked softly. She knew Cristina was going to call her out on what she was about to do.

"McBastard?"

"Please?" she begged.

Cristina kept the scowl she had on her face but gave in. "Fine, fine, I'll go get him. But I swear, Meredith, if he makes you cry..."

"Cristina, please," she cut her friend off. With a nod, Cristina finally left the room in search of Derek.

Derek has stood outside Meredith's room for a few seconds now, still trying to drown out the threats he just got from Cristina. When he finally got the courage, he entered the room as quietly as he could. He found Meredith looking out the window, something he's seen her doing for the few times he passed by her room just to get a glimpse of her.

"I was dreaming," she whispered, without turning to look at him.

"That was a long dream," he sighed softly as he walked towards her bed and stood beside it.

"I was dreaming about you."

He kept quiet, willing her to go on.

"It was the same at it was in my dream. You neglected me to be with Addison..."

"Mer..."

"I'm scared... I'm scared that you'll break me again. Scared that you'll break my heart to the point that I can never get over it..." her breath hitched from the tears in her eyes that he saw when she finally turned to look at him. "But I love you, Derek, god, I love you,"

"I love you, too, Mer..."

"And I want to make it work... I want to give it one more shot... Even if I know I'm a fool too... But I'll be a happy fool..."

She was giving him a second chance. For some reason, she was giving him a second chance to make it with her. His mind was spinning and his heart was swelling and he didn't know what else to do. He leaned over and kissed her as gently as he could. He closed his eyes and lingered in the happiness that he was feeling at the moment.

"Please don't break my heart again," she whispered as he pulled back a little, keeping his forehead against hers. Her eyes bore into his and he knew that this was his last chance and he swore to himself that he'd never break her heart ever again.

"Never, Mer, never, I promise,"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The End..
There actually 19 chapters, i'm sorry, i thought there were 20 but the last one is just a the author message.
But I hope y'll enjoyed the book and go on fanfiction and read SKBELIEVER.
🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼

I've lost motivation to write😭 and i'm just not in a good space right now but I'm will never not finish my books. I really hope i can a least write 2 chapters for each by the end of the week🙏🏽🕯.
Thank you for reading my books and this book. ❤️

~Q🌼