Chapter 8

Dawn was dragging her feet upstairs when she spotted Yulena. Not wanting to speak to her, she made a dash for the bathroom.

“What the hell Dawn!” shouted James. “I was going to take a shower.”

“Girls take longer to get ready. Suck it up James.”

She heard his feet stomp away and then a door slam. After today’s events she was pretty sure James was going to avoid her. Then when they got home he would make her life a living hell. Their supervisor was a female and she had a school girl crush on James. Anything he wanted he got.

Dawn took the quickest shower of her life. Taking one before James had its disadvantages. All she had was a towel. She stuck her head out of the door to make sure the coast was clear. When nothing moved or made a noise she took a chance and ran to her room.

Of course nothing was easy.

She slammed her door shut, turned around, and ran in to someone. The person squealed then let out a growl. It took Dawn a few seconds to clearly see who was in her dimly lit room.

“Yulena,” she gasped, “What are you doing in here?”

Yulena stepped back, her dark clothes almost blending in with the walls. Dawn gripped her towel tightly and didn’t take her eyes off of Yulena. The girl looked like a trapped animal trying to escape a predator. Dawn almost felt bad.

“Give me the book,” she hissed, her eyes glowing brightly.

“I don’t have it.”

Yulena hit the wall and let out a breath of frustration. “Don’t be stupid Dawn, we are on the same side!”

“Then why did you have a secret meeting with someone and ask them to find the book?” she blurted out.

Dawn slapped a hand to her mouth. She stared wide-eyed at Yulena, expecting the female to attack her any second now. To her surprise she just laughed.

“Listen to me Dawn,” she said, taking a step towards her. Now Dawn was the one backing up. The tables had turned, she was the prey and Yulena was the predator. The blackness of her eyes was enough to have Dawn’s skin crawling.

“What?” squeaked Dawn.

“I want to save this town as much as you do. The book has important information in it. You have no idea what you’re looking for but I do. Give it to me and I won’t bother you again.”

Dawn gathered what remaining courage she had left and took a step forward. She was now toe to toe with Yulena.

“I told you I don’t have your stupid book. Even if I did I wouldn’t give it to you.”

Yulena sniffed the air and frowned. “I can’t tell if you’re lying or not. For now I’ll leave you alone but if I find out you had the book…”